Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #1 
Blue Fish

Question How to know if something is safe for aquarium decor?

I found a really cute toothbrush holder the other day that would be *perfect* for an aquarium decoration...but I'm concerned that since it is not made for aquariums, that it could leach out some sort of toxic substance into my tank.

It's a lighthouse, and I'd need to plug the toothbrush holes, but otherwise the shape would be fine, just concerned about the materials.

Question: is there a way to test things to know if they'd be safe? I saw somewhere that you could pour vinegar on things and if it bubbled, you shouldn't put it in? Is this an accurate test?

Thanks in advance for any advice on this matter!
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #2 
lelei

I wouldn't trust it, I am fearful of anything that is not designated for aquariums..if it does not say Aquarium Safe, I would not take any chances..:(
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #3 
Kenny G

I have personally never heard of using vinegar to test on objects you put in a tank. I know vinegar is great for cleaning and sterilizing things. I would suggest setting it up in an empty tank with no fish treat the water and watch it for a week testing the ph levels. I'm sure this would give you some kind of indication as to whether or not its safe to use in a live tank or not.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't know if I would use something that isn't made for aquarium use.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #5 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
I would suggest setting it up in an empty tank with no fish treat the water and watch it for a week testing the ph levels.
Not all toxic substances change the pH, only polar substances that dissociate in water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fish View Post
I found a really cute toothbrush holder the other day that would be *perfect* for an aquarium decoration...but I'm concerned that since it is not made for aquariums, that it could leach out some sort of toxic substance into my tank.

It's a lighthouse, and I'd need to plug the toothbrush holes, but otherwise the shape would be fine, just concerned about the materials.

Question: is there a way to test things to know if they'd be safe? I saw somewhere that you could pour vinegar on things and if it bubbled, you shouldn't put it in? Is this an accurate test?

Thanks in advance for any advice on this matter!
To be honest, I'd have to agree with lelei. The only consolation is if the toothbrush holder is also designated to also be used as a drinking cup, because then it has to be toxin safe.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #6 
Kenny G

That is good logic bahamut285. Ok Blue Fish the panel has spoken. I'm sure I speak for everyone by saying we hope the advice received helps.

Please keep us posted.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #7 
Blue Fish

All right, good to know. :) (this is why I love this board) I thought this would probably be the concensus, but I also thought that it never hurts to ask just in case there might be some more information out there. :)
So, the search for a lighthouse aq ornament that is *made* to be an aq ornament continues. :)

I did have one thought though...many of us use craft mesh and binder clips as tank dividers, and those are not necessarily food or aq safe. Did someone test any of those things prior to use...? Obviously they are safe as many people have been using them for quite some time, but I did wonder. :)
Now, back to my ebay aquarium perusals... ;)
Old 07-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #8 
bahamut285

To broaden your search, you can look for child/baby-safe items as well.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:58 PM   #9 
Blue Fish

Oh, great idea, I hadn't thought of that. :) I think I've found what I'm hoping for on ebay, it's a really lovely "vintage" (or so the description says?) lighthouse with rocks and a hidey cave and a lighthouse keeper's cottage on it, so if I can win the auction, I'm going to go with that. :)

Thanks again though to everyone who was so helpful on here, it's always a pleasure to ask questions and get so much information on this board. :)
Old 07-01-2012, 11:59 PM   #10 
bahamut285

Always happy to help

Tags
safe aquarium decor