Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #21 
finnfinnfriend

Well there isn't any corn/wheat in the food, but there are potatoes which are a carb :) and the bluberries and such will provide fiber :)
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #22 
Gen2387

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrlamia View Post
Dogs dont need carbs to thrive, they turn protein and fat into energy sources (and are in fact better energy sources then carbs). They also dont need the fibre.
Fiber does have an important role in the dog's diet. It has a limited digestability but it is good for the gastrointestinal system of the animal. It is used in weight loss diets for animals and also aids the passage through the bowels. It also helps control the blood sugar levels because it is digested a little slower and regulates the absorption of sugar by the dog's body.
Too much fiber can cause gas and more stools but they do need it in balanced quantities, they are omnivorous.
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #23 
finnfinnfriend

Well the lady who is fostering the dog didn't show up today so I have to wait another week >:(
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #24 
LittleBettaFish

Heaps of dogs have corn allergies. Which is why I was surprised it was the first ingredient in Hill's food for gastro problems. Our cat is severely allergic to corn and cereal products and will throw up any food she gets that has them in it.

There is a dog food analysis site that goes through different brands of food and gives them a star rating, explaining each ingredient and why or why not it should or shouldn't be included.

We feed Earthborn Holistics Primitive which is grain free and Eaglepack Holistic. Unfortunately Australia can hardly get any decent brands of food so we stick with these ones as they are both fairly good quality and our dogs do really well on them.

Last edited by LittleBettaFish; 07-01-2012 at 06:55 PM.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #25 
xShainax

Blue buffalo is good for food allergies
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #26 
starrlamia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen2387 View Post
Fiber does have an important role in the dog's diet. It has a limited digestability but it is good for the gastrointestinal system of the animal. It is used in weight loss diets for animals and also aids the passage through the bowels. It also helps control the blood sugar levels because it is digested a little slower and regulates the absorption of sugar by the dog's body.
Too much fiber can cause gas and more stools but they do need it in balanced quantities, they are omnivorous.
Being omnivores is a matter of debate, they don't need fibre in their diets especially the high amounts that are in the science diet and grocery store brands. I with kibble some appropriate easily digestible fibre is fine (ie not corn). I've had my guys on raw previously that included no carbs and my dogs thrived.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #27 
starrlamia

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShainax View Post
Blue buffalo is good for food allergies
Depends on the allergy, not good for meat allergies or unknown allergies, you would want a limited ingredient diet for that.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #28 
teeneythebetta

"So, what should you believe? What’s the truth about corn in dog food?

Is it good? Or is it bad?

Well, that depends on whom you ask.

In general, anxieties expressed over the use of corn in dog food seem to come from consumers… pet owners, breeders and the like.

Whereas the “Corn is Great” crowd appears to include those who have **something to gain** from making or selling products made with this controversial grain."

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-fo...dog-food-corn/
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #29 
PaintingPintos

In fact, the best dog food is home-made.
My uncle has a Jack Russel and he used to feed her Blue Seal dog food. Eventually he started making his own food, and he noticed that the dog got a sheen to her coat. Her skin seemed firmer, her eyes were brighter, she had more energy. Though Blue Seal is a top brand, his mix of chicken (one of his home-grown chickens-- NO hormones) and vegetables (also home grown) and white rice was an amazing addition to the dog's diet. You can look up recipes online, but making your own food is the best option.
Also good treats are carrots. Some dogs go NUTS for them but others hate them. But unlike regular dog treats, carrots can be fed in larger amounts....
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #30 
Sincerely

My favorite food is Orijen hands down.

I fed my dog Orijen when she was showing and it kept her coat shiny and her full of energy at only one cup a day (She is a corgi at 25 pounds )

It contains zero grains of any kind, just meat, fruit and vegetables with a high protein analysis of 38% and fat at 17% so this is a food where a little goes a long way.

In my opinion corn, soy and wheat is just empty calories that give no essential nutrition to a dogs diet.

Other food brands I would suggest:

-Evo
-Castor and Pollux
-Innova PRIME
-Instinct Chicken (I love this food too, this has a very high protein analysis at 42%. I only use this food when I am conditioning her for a trial. The other variety's have a lower protein analysis.)
Sincerely is offline   Reply With Quote