Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #1 
Leela314

Tank dividers without sealant?

Okay, so here's the deal: I bought a 10 gallon and divided it up three ways using the binder/plastic canvas to be the future home to my three VTs (1 female, 2 males). The dividers were siliconed in, and I started to cycle the tank. My problem is I don't think two out of three fish will be happy with it. Wanda is entirely too energetic for something tall and narrow. Otto flares at anything, and I mean anything. He's been known to flare at a hair tie of all things!

So the new plan is to divide the 10 gallon 60-40ish and put Hector, my king betta on the bigger side and Perseus, my other VT on the smaller side. Both bettas are pretty easy going and I think would make good neighbors. I'm pretty sure I can get the silicone off without any problems, but I want to know if there's anyway make/buy a sturdy divider without silicone. The tank is halfway through its cycle so I'd rather not drain it. Again, I think these two boys will make good neighbors, but Hector is about twice Percy's size so any divider does need to be strong. Any ideas?
Leela314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #2 
Zero186

I know Petsmart sells Topfin tank dividers that dont use any sealant and can be adjusted. It has mixed reviews though.
Zero186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #3 
littlegreen

I have dividers without sealant! 8) Here's how I did it: I took extra firm craft mesh and sealed 3 or so layers together (cut to fit in as a divider).
Then, I took some thick aquarium tubing (from a gravel siphon), cut two pieces the height of the mesh, sliced it vertically, and slipped the mesh pieces in. Because of the texture of the tubing, one is able to wedge it firmly into the aquarium against the glass, but take it out if needed. : )
littlegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:26 PM   #4 
Leela314

Sounds like some great ideas! I'll have to check them out.
Leela314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #5 
TuckerLove

I have 4 of Lee's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEES-AQUARIU...item337681ef58

I havent had a problem with them and they stay in place rather well. I bought mine at a pet store for $10 each.
TuckerLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #6 
megaredize

heres a link on how to make your own its basically what littlegreen said but with pictures. i found it from the tropical fish keeping website which i think is this websites "parent" or whatever lol anyways here it is
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:46 AM   #7 
Nutt007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero186 View Post
I know Petsmart sells Topfin tank dividers that dont use any sealant and can be adjusted. It has mixed reviews though.
Those things rusted in my tank and killed my poor Cirrus. :(
Nutt007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divider