Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2012, 12:49 AM   #1 
xShainax

Heaters in summer

I have read some places betta's don't need heaters in the summer. Is that true or false?
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:56 AM   #2 
deso

Depends on if there's a huge difference between nighttime and daytime temps. If it's going down to 50 degrees at night versus 75 during the day (like where I live), then you definitely need to leave that heater in. The most accurate way of telling if you need your heater or not is just to check your tank's thermometer a lot.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:58 AM   #3 
xShainax

I leave the A/C running in the summer, so it's best to keep them running. I think
Old 07-01-2012, 01:00 AM   #4 
copperarabian

The heaters job is to keep the tank at a specific temperature and turn off automatically. So if the tank stays above the level the heater is set to it won't be on, but when it goes below that(at night or if it's cooler) it will automatically start working again. So unless you live somewhere that is at least 85 or higher all summer never going down in temperature you wouldn't need a heater.

Personally I say false, it's so unlikely the weather would actually allow you to do that :)
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:19 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

depends on where you live. If you happen to live in, say, central america - probably don't need a heater there. Floridians might not need heaters - depending on if the AC is running and how cold it gets at night.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:21 AM   #6 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
depends on where you live. If you happen to live in, say, central america - probably don't need a heater there. Floridians might not need heaters - depending on if the AC is running and how cold it gets at night.
Lol, I love about an hour away from you
Old 07-01-2012, 03:19 AM   #7 
SweetNightmare

Here in Texas I know plenty of fish owners that take their heaters out in the summer, to conserve on energy so the heater isn't constantly kicking on and off for one degree. ((Plenty of people keep it between 76-80; I know it's not a still temperature, but I know a lot of people that are afraid with the tiny degree fluctuations in temperature, the heater might malfunction and overheat the water.)) I keep mine in, but we keep it pretty cold inside(I have small furries that get overheated easily) so we still need it. It's really on an individual basis.
SweetNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #8 
zombiegirl

I live in Florida and only use a heater in my 3.5 gallon during the summer. In the 2 gallon tanks, it's just not necessary. All the 2 gallon tanks are in my kitchen which is the warmest room in the house and even with the A/C on, they stay at a consistent 80-82 degrees. The 3.5 gallon is in my bedroom at the back of the house which is significantly cooler than the rest of the house due to where the room is positioned. Without a heater that tank would fluctuate between 75-80. I just wasn't comfortable with a five degree difference from early morning to mid evening every day. The heater now keeps the tank at a constant 80.

As soon as the weather dips, I'll put the small heaters back in the other tanks. Won't be for quite a while yet though. We typically stay in the 90's from May until October.
zombiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote