Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2012, 03:00 AM   #1 
Purple

Cleaning Tank

I would like to know the best way to clean a tank. I mean kill bacteria, but NOT my fish! I would like something that I can clean anything non-porous with.

I'm a big germ-o-phobe. I get nervous when I put my fish back into their tanks after water changes... I can't help but think "Is this really as clean as I can get it?"

I know there's an extensive list of things I CAN'T use, but what CAN I use?

ANY advice is wonderful! Anything to get my babies as clean as they can be!
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:07 AM   #2 
Kenny G

The best things you can use to clean and sterilize your tank is aq salt, and vinegar. Vinegar is non-toxic to fish.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:16 AM   #3 
Purple

Can I mix vinegar with some water while cleaning during water changes? I have a 3 gallon (keep about 1.5 gallons in it, though) and two 1 gallons that I do 100% water changes for every day. How should I do it?
Old 07-02-2012, 06:59 AM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

Leave the bacteria alone :) did you know humans have beneficial bacteria in their stomachs to help digestion? Unless your fish is sick, it is best to just do the routine, vacum gravel, water change etc. An environment that is too clean isn't really good for the fish. A good example is my goldfish who lives in a cloudy pond. If I used any pond clearing products, they might die the next day due to the fact that there are no longer organisms to suck out the nutrition (which is poisonous to fish). The tank will try to balance itself, whether it's is loudy water or algae growing, it is simply nature at work :)

but if you realllly want, feel free to rise the tank out in hot water when doing a 100% WC.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #5 
Purple

I have two 1 gallons and one 3 gallon (1/2 full because he's all old and such :P) that I do 100% water changes for every day. I don't think that there's enough time for good bacteria to grow.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #6 
Meggie6347

Don't worry about using anything to sterilize it or anything...especially if you are changing it every day (which is great by the way without a filter!) just rinse the gravel in hot water and stir it around (in a strainer or something), rinse the decorations with hot water and your fingers, and just wipe down with a bowl with a wet paper towel
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:22 AM   #7 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
Leave the bacteria alone :) did you know humans have beneficial bacteria in their stomachs to help digestion? Unless your fish is sick, it is best to just do the routine, vacum gravel, water change etc. An environment that is too clean isn't really good for the fish. A good example is my goldfish who lives in a cloudy pond. If I used any pond clearing products, they might die the next day due to the fact that there are no longer organisms to suck out the nutrition (which is poisonous to fish). The tank will try to balance itself, whether it's is loudy water or algae growing, it is simply nature at work :)

but if you realllly want, feel free to rise the tank out in hot water when doing a 100% WC.
+1 agreed
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote