Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2008, 06:19 PM   #11 
Flashygrrl

1: You are not supposed to do a full water change. 20-25% daily during cycling and then 25% every week or twice a week once established.

2. What size heater did you get? I specified mini because they are made flat to fit into a small tank. If you can, take a pic so we can see how it is set up.

3. Make sure you post ammonia readings when you test everything else. Did you get the API kit like specified?
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:11 PM   #12 
beetlebz

maybe an internal mini duetto? or a tiny air powered one?

that or the azoo palm HOB filter
beetlebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:17 PM   #13 
Flashygrrl

The Whisper he's got IS air-powered, it really shouldn't be taking up much room so I'm curious to see what else he's got in there.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:54 AM   #14 
beetlebz

aye, i missed that post.

sounds like the tank is just trying to cycle, imo. I would definitely NOT kink the hose, let the filter do its mojo. If the current is an issue try to engineer something to diffuse the current, or get a small floating plant (even a fake one) to help break things up. I use a plastic lid, with a ziptie tail to keep the current low in my betta tank.
beetlebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:59 PM   #15 
DelTASteve

I used a fake plant to break the current, he actually seems intrigued by the current, he goes up and swims in it sometimes for a little while and then goes back to the other side. He is currently working on a large bubble nest as I type, so I guess he is happy. He really likes people, and since lots of them come into the dorm room, he is always showing off. Thanks everyone for all of your help, I am doing 20% water changes daily, and keeping an eye on the water quality.

Thanks again!
Steve
DelTASteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:15 PM   #16 
JMeenen

Gat a filter and a HEATER! 70 degrees is too cold..they like 78 -80 degrees. You can get a small power filter made by AZOO with a sponge filter for under $10 and a flat thermometer that sticks to the inside of the tank also $10 if you can't find tham at Petco or Petsmart go online to Doctors Foster & Smith. you can get both & Shipping for @ $30. Get a HEATER ASAP
JMeenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:00 PM   #17 
stephenmontero

if you mean showing off meaning he flares up all his fins and tries to look big that means that he isn't showing off he is worried about all those people and he is trying to defend his tank
stephenmontero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:32 PM   #18 
Fishfreak55

ok well im getting a betta and i have a heater im letting it cycle, but i don't have a filter. what i have is a 2.5 gallon hex... do i need to get one.
Fishfreak55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:20 PM   #19 
DelTASteve

No, he isn't flaring. I am teaching him how to eat out of my fingers, and when you get close to his tank, he swims up to the top and waits for the tank lid to open, and whenever people come into the room to look at him he does this, and sits there and waits patiently.
DelTASteve is offline   Reply With Quote