Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2008, 05:13 PM   #11 
SST

Snails are terrific poop producers and need 2.5 gals. of their own. I wouldn't try one in that small of a tank.

It sounds a perfect size for your betta. Put some pretty plants in there (live or silk) and you're good to go.

My dude has taken over a 5 gal. all to himself. He bullied a snail and I had to remove it. LOL. I'm afraid to try anything else with him. I got a small clay pot and "planted" some java fern in it with some gravel. It's cute looking and my betta likes to lay in it. Plus I've got silk plants.
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:09 PM   #12 
cajunmomof4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunmomof4
Its my understanding gouramis don't do well with bettas as they can be territorial and fin nippers.
where the heck did i get gouramis from that post?? My brain is fried...lol
cajunmomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:10 PM   #13 
King of Candlesticks

Well thank you guys very much. I decided to let him have the three gallon to himself (though I almost got a bumblebee catfish) I might introduce an oto later depending on whether the tank gets algae or not.

Thanks!
King of Candlesticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:50 PM   #14 
Falina

I'd suggest not getting the otos. They like to be in groups also. Algae can be prevented by good water maintanence and not leaving the light on too long. Fish should never be relied on to clean the tank. If you do get algae then you can simply clean it off.
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:28 PM   #15 
King of Candlesticks

I tried that but I get this brown algae that refused to go away until I got some Algae fix chemicals for the tank. So I figured a fish of some sort would be best.
King of Candlesticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:57 PM   #16 
Oldman47

If you have been using typical algae control chemicals then thee is no way you can have shrimp or snails. Inverts die fast when exposed to the typical copper based algaecides.
Oldman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:34 AM   #17 
stephenmontero

i hate having to put chemicals into any one of my tanks you really never know the side effects
stephenmontero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:47 PM   #18 
kritas

don't forget King, that if you add an oto, it will be very lonely in there all by itself, and won't be very lively, so you might want to consider another bottom dweller (even though oto's are awesome catfish).
kritas is offline   Reply With Quote