Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #1 
Johnnyrottenthefish

My betta won't stop staring at himself

I have a Fluval Chi and my betta spends SO much time staring at himself in the mirrors. Is this bad?
Johnnyrottenthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #2 
staffylover

Is it a mirror you have placed in the tank? I only allow mine a couple of minutes at a time with the mirror or he will get stressed
staffylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:28 PM   #3 
Johnnyrottenthefish

There's one way mirrors built in on the left and right side. Then it's normal glass on the front and back. Should I consider getting a new tank? He's not flaring or anything, just staring a lot.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:31 PM   #4 
staffylover

Oh right, I have a Chi but they are not mirrored. However I did had a black backing on it when I first set it up and he spent all his time flaring up at himself, as soon as I removed it he settled down.

I am fairly new to Betta's so I am not sure if they get stressed by staring at themselves, I am sure someone more experienced will be along soon
staffylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #5 
Aus

Is your fish called Johnny Rotten? I had Sid Fishus.. sadly passed away..

Anyway. You could try breaking his line of sight with a silk or real plant, give him something else to look at/cut the reflection a bit.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #6 
lelei

I have to be honest, I have some dark stones, like little mirrors, that every once in a while my fishy's do notice themselves in, and they start having an arguement with themselves, but for the most part Honestly..they actually get used to it, they look every now and again, but don't stare, How long have you had the tank, if it's new~then it maybe just the fishy getting used to seeing himself, after he sees himself more often, he may be ok, unless you see a lot of flaring, just staring is not bad.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #7 
Johnnyrottenthefish

To Aus. I had a little tiny shark named Sid Vicious! He died as well.. I have one plant up against the mirror but he just goes around it. I'm watching my fish right now and he doesn't seem angry or anything he's just straight up staring at himself and keeping still.

To Lelei. I haven't see him flare. And it's a brand new tank. If he starts flaring I can move him into the 10 gallon tank I have.

Last edited by Johnnyrottenthefish; 07-02-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #8 
tamikakes

I just put a lil mirror up for my lil fella yesterday, he flared a tiney bit, but what cracked me up is that he kept rubbing up against the tank at himself, like a cat rubs his body against someones leg.

is that normal??
tamikakes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, fluval chi, mirror, staring