Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #1 
DalekDYE

Question Betta Depression?

My betta P.K. isn't eating at night anymore. Today he didn't want to eat at all and his fast isn't until Saturday (I fast him every once and a while to make sure there's no "backup"). I know bettas can get depressed. he's giving me the symptoms of his "I want to be cleaned" sorta thing but I cleaned his tank/bowl recently. I'm saving up for a bigger tank for him, right now he only has a 2 or 3 L bowl. Could he be bored? One thing I was wondering is if I changed the scenery around his bowl, could that interest him a bit more? I know I should invest more into betta care, but I try my best. One thing I do is I keep the room warmer and do what I can to keep the water warm during the day and let it cool a bit at night. One of the first things on my betta to-do list is to get a proper heating system going for him. One other thing, I found my betta moving his rocks around to make almost a wall where the most open space of his scenery is. Is that normal? I know this is excessively long-winded. My biggest concern is that he'll let himself starve to death. Thanks for all and any help guys, I really appreciate it.
DalekDYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:34 PM   #2 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalekDYE View Post
My betta P.K. isn't eating at night anymore. Today he didn't want to eat at all and his fast isn't until Saturday (I fast him every once and a while to make sure there's no "backup"). I know bettas can get depressed. he's giving me the symptoms of his "I want to be cleaned" sorta thing but I cleaned his tank/bowl recently. I'm saving up for a bigger tank for him, right now he only has a 2 or 3 L bowl. Could he be bored? One thing I was wondering is if I changed the scenery around his bowl, could that interest him a bit more? I know I should invest more into betta care, but I try my best. One thing I do is I keep the room warmer and do what I can to keep the water warm during the day and let it cool a bit at night. One of the first things on my betta to-do list is to get a proper heating system going for him. One other thing, I found my betta moving his rocks around to make almost a wall where the most open space of his scenery is. Is that normal? I know this is excessively long-winded. My biggest concern is that he'll let himself starve to death. Thanks for all and any help guys, I really appreciate it.
2-3L isnt enough, and he might be apathetic about food because he isnt burning any calories because he doesn't have enough room to swim! If you are willing to do several water changes a week, I suggest at least a gallon bowl. You can get them for about $10
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:36 PM   #3 
finnfinnfriend

Or better yet, something like this for a bit more, which is easier to heat properly

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11164158

Last edited by finnfinnfriend; 07-02-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:43 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Or, the OP can just get a Kritter Keeper. They're cheap and sturdy!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:02 AM   #5 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Kritter Keepers are cheap and make excellent betta tanks, buy one and i am sure you will have a healthier and happier betta! 2-3 L is NOT SUITABLE. It is like a human being confined to a bedroom(no offense), we need room to move, just like they do, it would be helpful if you got a krater keeper. Bettas need heaters as they are tropical fish and need their water at a constant temperature from 78-80 degrees farenheit

good luck and keep us updated :)
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:07 AM   #6 
Stonehenge

Petco is having a gnarly sale right now. I just got a 5 gallon Marineland tank for $50 bucks. It's really nice came with an LED light and a tetra filter that has an adjustable flow control. My beta, Popsicle is about an inch long and loves it. It's like a friggin mansion for him.

You could try cutting a ping pong ball in half and put it in there, it'll give him something to push around if he is really bored. Not that you have a lot of room anyway
Stonehenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:09 AM   #7 
jeffegg2

Cool

What are you feeding him? Nothing more boring than flakes and pellets, except dried foods... Kinda like a life of eating dry corn flakes your entire life.....

Nothing like frozen or live food to perk up a Betta!!!

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:24 AM   #8 
finnfinnfriend

Oh yeah forgot about kritter keepers....But it's not that much cheaper for a similar size....you choice
Old 07-03-2012, 12:36 AM   #9 
Purple

Last I checked, WalMart had a 10 gallon for 12 dollars. I spent 20 dollars on a 3 gallon bowl. :l I'm a bit mad. xD
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #10 
DalekDYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehenge View Post
Petco is having a gnarly sale right now. I just got a 5 gallon Marineland tank for $50 bucks. It's really nice came with an LED light and a tetra filter that has an adjustable flow control. My beta, Popsicle is about an inch long and loves it. It's like a friggin mansion for him.

You could try cutting a ping pong ball in half and put it in there, it'll give him something to push around if he is really bored. Not that you have a lot of room anyway
I'm Canadian. I live in Quebec to be more specific. Even if the other provinces have Petco, we don't because of the d*** language police. Anyways, thanks for the info though.
DalekDYE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bored betta, depression, eating disorder, not eating, surroundings