Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #1 
Sylvanoon

A little problem with velvet

This is the first Betta I have ever had and he seems to be down with Velvet. I got him from my LFS and he was in good condition until yesterday.

Housing
He is currently in an 2.5 gallon tank. It has no heater (the house is constantly at 78 though) or filter. There is some Java Moss in the tank.

Food
He mainly eats pellets and live mosquito larvae. I feed him twice a day, three pellets each feeding. He gets mosquito larvae twice a week instead of the pellets, and I feed him 5 of those in a day. I fast him on Sundays.

Maintenance

The water is changed twice a week, 100% on Mondays and 15-25% on Thursday (just siphon the gravel). I only treat the water with Prime from Seachem. I have not tested the parameters.

Symptoms and Treatment

His colors look dull. There are small white specs on his face and there seems to be a layer of dust all over his body, so I suspect it's velvet. He is in good spirits, though. He eats as usual and swims around a lot, but I have seen him suddenly swimming very fast and trying to scratch his face against the gravel or the decorations.

I need help with deciding how to treat him. I have some aquarium salt. Since he gets his water change today, I am adding half a tablespoon to begin treatment immediately and reducing the photo period. Hopefully that will be enough, but just in case I got CopperSafe from Amazon and a water tersting kit to make sure the parameters are ok. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. I love the little fella.

Here's a picture of him right now. I don't have a camera, so that's all I could do with my phone: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2obzxw5nvraxzmy/velvet.jpg
Sylvanoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

If you see gold dust if you show a flashlight on him, that's Velvet. To treat Velvet, you have to treat it like Ich. Raise temperature to at least 83F and put in aquarium salt at the right dosage for the whole tank. It's a contagious disease. You have to add the salt carefully when you do your next water change. Make sure that the salt is dissolved in the premixed water, it might burn your Betta. I have no idea about the white spots on his face, I don't think Ich can go together with Velvet. I hope he gets better.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #3 
Sylvanoon

So, Velvet it is. As for the white spots, they look like ich, but much, much smaller. From what I have read, velvet can form those white spots.

So, I have added the AQ salt (1/2 tablespoon for the whole tank). I can't raise the temperature right now as I don't have a heater, but I will go to my LFS and see if there's one adequate for a 2.5 gallon tank. Might as well get a filter to improve water conditions.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Oh, a filter? Not yet, the current will be too strong and the cycling would take a while. Not yet. The proper dosage for aquarium salt for treatment is 1 teaspoon per gallon. 1/2 tablespoon is 1.5 teaspoons. So you treated 1 Gallon and a half. I suggest to add 1 more Teaspoon to get to 2.5 teaspoons. Get a heater as soon as possible and good luck!
Old 07-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #5 
Sylvanoon

Oh, right. The instructions said to add 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons, so I just divided it by half because it was easier that way, but after reading again it also says 1/2 teaspoon per US gallon. The instructions are inconsistent. Ok, I will add another teaspoon to that, dissolved.

Hopefully the treatment won't stress him too much. Thank you very much for your help!
Old 07-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Your welcome :) I just use the 1/2 teaspoon for minor stuff like fin rot. Just to prevent infection. I hope he gets better, and glad to help!
Old 07-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #7 
Sylvanoon

Went to the LFS and they don't have heaters for small tanks. Bummer. I'll have to order one online. I am torn between the Hydor THEO and the EHEIM Jagger. I think both will do fine in a plastic Kritter Keeper.

Question: I have read a little bit more about velvet and some people suggest higher doses of salt. Some suggest 1 teaspoon and even 1-1/2 instead of just 1/2. Would it be safe to use 1 teaspoon instead? I just don't wanna medicate him unless I really have to. I would like to kill the buggers with just salt.

Last edited by Sylvanoon; 07-03-2012 at 03:27 PM.