Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #11 
Laki

Wow he's so unique!! I was gonna say an inbred crowntail. I have a combtail-ish betta named Bowser and his fins are more like a comb than Barakus. I'm certainly no expert on the matter but I think combtail is a cross between VT and CT. (Bowser is 3 parts CT and 1 part VT).. But with all the strange breeding done in mills it's hard to say. Barakus looks like he could be crowntail but carrying more VT than CT. That's just my opinion.
Keep the water nice and clean to avoid curling (which is common in CT's kept in dirty water) And as someone else mentioned, IAL would help him as well. You can buy them on ebay for cheap.
Here's my combtail, not the rays extend almost to the end of the fin:
Attached Images

Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:33 PM   #12 
Panzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyr View Post
Barakus as in "B. A. Barakus"?
I pitty the fool who lowers his PH.

Just checked the hard water earlier today and I thought it was 50 to 200, can't remember. I'd rather not add additives. No need to fix something that is not broken.

His personality is really coming out as when I come home from work and up to his bowl he wakes up and swims to me. It's like having a dog.

What is IAL?

Last edited by Panzer; 06-27-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:15 AM   #13 
Shadyr

IAL = Indian Almond Leaves. They can be added to a tank and release tannins that darken the water. Betta originated from brackish waters, so they like dark water better (in theory). They are also supposed to have anti-fungal properties. I've ordered some for my boy who has had a rash of mild issues since we got him, so I suppose I will have some actual personal experience with them soonish!
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:25 AM   #14 
Panzer

Just did some research, because I'm working out of a bowl I am wondering if these IAL in teabags would be more efficient or are they not of as good a quality?

http://www.bettawan.com/almond_t_bags.html
Old 06-28-2012, 08:27 AM   #15 
Laki

I haven't had any experience with the tea bags of IAL but I suspect they will be the same. They might be more concentrated though. With the leaves, you can crack off a piece the size appropriate for your bowl, with the bags you have to put the whole thing in.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:33 AM   #16 
konstargirl

:D He's pretty!
konstargirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #17 
Panzer

Just bought a small marina heater for bowls, we'll see how that goes. I've got a desk lamp above where his bowl is, it is sixty watts. Will that cook him if I use it as a light for his bowl? I have noticed that the tips of his cadual and anal fins are white. Could that be a fungus, and would aquarium salt work?

I'm probably asking all these questions in the wrong area but everyone here has been very helpful.

Last edited by Panzer; 06-29-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #18 
BeckyFish97

I would say you have two options, he is either a combtail, or a crowntail with severe fin damage (or a birth defect), I would say more likely a combtail! He's beautiful, his name made me think of barak obama (think I spelt it right) he's like the us president of the fish world :D barakus obama :D
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #19 
Laki

lol @ barakus obama!!!
I keep a 60watt bulb on Ludendorff. It DOES warm the water if it's close enough to the water. Keep an eye on the thermometer if you have the pre-set one. I have the same heater ;) So far it hasn't caused problems with the lamp being there. I broke my other desk lamp and the one I use now is set further from the water's surface.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #20 
Panzer

Heater seems pretty good. Barakus is more active during the day, still sleeps at night between his favorite rocks.