Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2012, 01:20 AM   #1 
Sark22

My betta's fins are turning white (pic included)

My betta's fins used to be really dark blue with hints of red and purple on his fins then a few weeks ago, he got a white ring around his head and it started to spread and it got wider. It's not fuzzy and it doesn't look like anything is on his scales. It looks like the color is being sucked out of his scales and fins. Now, as you can see in the picture, a lot of his fins are white. I've done partial water changes and I keep the water at a constant 82F. He's in a 5 gallon tank and he's about 2 years old. Before the color change, he used to make bubble nests and be really active, now he just kind of sits nears the surface or inside his house. He still eats normally though. Is he just getting old or is this a disease?
Sark22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

Keep an eye on it, but most likely you just have a marble and it's nothing to worry about. Apparently marbles tend to lose color as they age.
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #3 
Moby

That doesnt look like a marble to me, it looks like it has some sort of infection. Im not an expert but id deffinately wait to see what one of the more experienced members say
Moby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #4 
Sark22

I've looked at pictures of marble bettas and I'm not sure he is one.
Sark22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #5 
Withered

I'm probably not the best person to answer this since at the moment my fish is extremely ill, but I think that might be fin rot. My fish's fins did the same thing about 5 months ago and he hasn't been the same since. I treated him with AQ salt and Maracyn 2 and he seemed to get better. (Fins grew back, started acting normal etc.) I'm not expert though.
Withered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #6 
BETTACHKALOVE

Hey how is your betta ?
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #7 
millefiore

http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...articleid=1114

It might the marble gene. The link above shows pictures of a fish with the gene changing over time.

Hopefully it isn't a problem, what does make me worry is the slight transparency of the fins. That could be normal for marbles though, I don't know. Best wishes for the little guy.
millefiore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #8 
tanseattle

He looks kind of dry. What I try to do for my betta is that I have a tank with natural dirt from my backyard (I soak and wash the heck out of the dirt) and place my betta in for 3 days for every 7 days he is jar. In Vietnam I used to jar 3 days then went back for 3 days in natural environment, but this is so difficult to do in the U.S. the weather is bad for betta here.
tanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote