Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #1 
Sprinkles55

Question Betta Fish New Owner!

Hello everyone, I'm a new member and a fairly new fish owner. I just got my betta yesterday, he's a beautiful crowntail with a spunky personality it seems. He's also quite energetic. Anyways, to say the least I want what's best for him. I have a few questions regarding care.

Food Question!
I currently feed my betta Aqua Culture Betta Pellet Food: Color enhancing fish food. I feed him 3 pellets a day, one usually in the morning and two at night to space it out for his digestion. Is that alright? Is there a better fish food to give him? Better way to feed him? Thanks for any information!

Tank Question!
As I've read this forum, I've come to see that betta's are much better in tanks. As of right now, he's residing in a bowl. Another thing is my room's in a basement and it does get cold down here, so I fear he may get lethargic. What type of tank should I get? What plants? What type of heater/filters do you suggest? I really want what's best!

Mirror Question!
I've heard a lot about mirrors, some say it's bad for them and some say it's good regarding exercise. What's the real answer?

Otherwise if you have any other care tips for me I'd gladly accept them. Thank you!
Sprinkles55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #2 
tamikakes

Welcome! I am a new betta owner myself (Friday) and this board has tought me a TON already! It will also make you nervous/anxious that you aren't providing the best and feel you have to rush out to get everything. One thing I learned is so many people on here are so helpful and sweet!

From what I have read, Omega one betta buffet is one of the best pellets!
A lot of people recommend a 5-10 gal tank. and silk plants are best as there is no risk in them cutting their fins, if you dont' got the real plant route.

again, I'm new as well, but that seems to be what I have gathered from most the posts I've read! I'm sure things will get better explained/cleared up by a more advanced betta lover

Congrats on your new buddy!
tamikakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #3 
Sprinkles55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamikakes View Post
Welcome! I am a new betta owner myself (Friday) and this board has tought me a TON already! It will also make you nervous/anxious that you aren't providing the best and feel you have to rush out to get everything. One thing I learned is so many people on here are so helpful and sweet!

From what I have read, Omega one betta buffet is one of the best pellets!
A lot of people recommend a 5-10 gal tank. and silk plants are best as there is no risk in them cutting their fins, if you dont' got the real plant route.

again, I'm new as well, but that seems to be what I have gathered from most the posts I've read! I'm sure things will get better explained/cleared up by a more advanced betta lover

Congrats on your new buddy!
Yeah, it has so much information I just can't stop reading! I'm going to buy those pellets then soon, and I'ma get some space for a 5-10 gal tank to provide him with a fun home :) He seems to be happy so far though, making bubble nests already! Must've really hated that cup he was stuck in :(
Old 07-04-2012, 07:48 AM   #4 
tamikakes

Oh I bet! Don't stress too much and don't feel like you have to rush out to get everything right away. Make sure you cycle your tank (there is a sticky thread on how to do so) as it will eleminate having to do a lot of water changes and it's healthiier for the lil fella.

What is the first 3 ingredents in your fish pellets? How high is the protein %?

and where are the pictures!?!?!?! :)
tamikakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:57 PM   #5 
Sprinkles55

Cycling seems a little confusing, but I think I got the most of what it's trying to say. The first three ingredients are fish meal, shrimp meal, and soybean meal. protein is 42%. He actually stopped eating the pellets last night though :( so I went out to buy him omega one buffet pellets and he ate them right up. It's hard to get pictures of him, he's a little camera shy and swims too much to get a good shot! I got a couple, though. His name is Sprinkles
Old 07-05-2012, 07:49 AM   #6 
Qw3rTy

your fish looks kinda like mine(avatar)i got it 1 week ago
Qw3rTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:23 AM   #7 
Kim

Hi Sprinkles55, it's great to hear that you want to provide your betta with the best home possible :) As you already know, heat is a very important requirement for bettas, so getting a larger tank that you can heat is a great idea- I usually keep my bettas in 5 gallon cycled tanks. Cycling may sound difficult at first, but I assure you it's really not all that complex, and by doing a fishless cycle the entire process doesn't have to be stressful on you or your fish. I find the method of using pure ammonia to be the easiest route.

Since you already have your fish, here's what I would recommend: Get a larger tank with an adjustable heater and small filter. Set everything up with the filter and heater running (80 degrees Fahrenheit is a good temp.), then begin cycling as described below (taken from the tropicalfishkeeping sticky). I find the method using pure ammonia to be the quickest, easiest, and most effective. It's also probably the cleanest method...no rotting fish food ;)

"This is the most precise method of cycling your tank. It is similar to the fish food and shrimp methods described above but the ammonia source is pure bottled ammonia. It is of utmost importance that you use only pure ammonia, not ammonia-based cleaning products that contain detergents, dyes, scents or any other chemicals as these can be harmful to your fish. How much ammonia to add depends on the concentration of the ammonia you're using but you want to add enough ammonia to bring the concentration of your tank to 3-5 ppm (this is usually 3-5 drops per ten gallons but can vary). Test the ammonia and nitrite levels every day, adding more ammonia daily as needed to keep the ammonia level at 3-5 ppm. Eventually, you'll notice that the ammonia concentration will start dropping, which goes along with an increase in nitrite. Continue dosing ammonia to the same concentration. Eventually, you'll reach the stage where enough ammonia added to bring the tank to a concentration of 3-5 ppm totally disappears within 24 hours, leaving you with nothing but nitrate." At this point the tank is said to be cycled. One important note is that nitrIte and nitrAte are two different substances. Nitrite will spike first when a certain kind of bacteria convert (metabolize) ammonia to nitrite. Then nitrates will begin to show up as another kind of bacteria convert nitrIte to nitrAte. Oh, and if you only plan to house one betta in your tank you will only need to add enough ammonia to initially raise the level to 3 ppm- any more is overkill.

Read more: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...#ixzz1zkWGacpQ

The end result of cycling is that for a 5 gallon tank all that's needed is a single weekly water change of around 25%. You will never need to do a 100% water change...in fact that would be really bad for your cycle. Plus, if you end up having to postpone your water change you don't have to worry about an ammonia spike as with an uncycled tank...cycled tanks, because of their beneficial bacteria, are much more forgiving.

Now, during the time it takes you to cycle the tank (probably around 3-4 weeks), you can float (or otherwise attach) your bowl in the larger tank so that your betta can have some heat while still living in water that is ammonia free. You'll need to do 100% water changes probably every other day in the bowl, depending on its size, but I find this to be the best way to keep your betta warm and comfortable while his new home is cycling without breaking the bank by buying a separate heater and larger container for him to live in until the larger tank cycles.

Of course, the other way to keep bettas is to use uncycled tanks (you do not need a filter for this) and do water changes more often. Some 100% changes are necessary to keep ammonia from building up without beneficial bacteria to do this for you. Since I've never kept uncycled tanks, I'll let other members chime in about this topic.

Hope this helps! Good luck with your new pet :)
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #8 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

He is a very pretty boy...love his castle. Best wishes and enjoy !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #9 
BETTACHKALOVE

Sorry Kim and everyone if i repeat what Kim already wrote. I agree with Kim but i want to add something and i want to give link where Oldfishlady give advice how to cycle the tank.
While you have him in the bowl you need to do 1-50% and 1-100% a week. Or like Kim wrote 100% water changes. How small is his bowl? Is it one gall or smaller? If it 0.5 gall then you might even need more water changes ...

Always acclimate you betta to the new water. When i change water i put him in his changing cup with a little bit of his water. Then i add about 15% of the new water, then in a few minutes i add a little bit more new water i do it for 2-3 times and i let him stay in there for a few minutes then i put him in his tank with new water.This way you let him adjust to new temperature/chemistry.

When you change your betta new water temperature should be +-2-4* the same as his water..

Food: i feed them (8 of them) 2 pellets in the morning 2 pellets at night. A few times a week i give them freeze dried blood worms in the morning instead of pellets. Anothre good brand of the betta food: New Life SPECTRUM by Natural;Aqueon Betta Food.

There is 2 way to keep bettas. You can cycle the tank if you want. I personally don't cycle. It easier for me. I have 5 gall and 2.5 gall tanks. I do 1-50% water changes and 1-100% water changes every like 8 days for 5 gall and every 7 days for 2.5 gall tanks.

With 5 gall tank with filter i would recommend to do 50% weekly water changes with substrate cleaning.

Filter media needs swish/rinse in the bucket of old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month or when water flow compromised.

Oldfishlady link when she gave instructions how to cycle the tank if you decided to to it:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=99717
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #10 
BETTACHKALOVE

Also i want to be sure you know that you have to add water conditioner in the water....
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, care