Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #31 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sincerely View Post
My favorite food is Orijen hands down.

I fed my dog Orijen when she was showing and it kept her coat shiny and her full of energy at only one cup a day (She is a corgi at 25 pounds )

It contains zero grains of any kind, just meat, fruit and vegetables with a high protein analysis of 38% and fat at 17% so this is a food where a little goes a long way.

In my opinion corn, soy and wheat is just empty calories that give no essential nutrition to a dogs diet.

Other food brands I would suggest:

-Evo
-Castor and Pollux
-Innova PRIME
-Instinct Chicken (I love this food too, this has a very high protein analysis at 42%. I only use this food when I am conditioning her for a trial. The other variety's have a lower protein analysis.)
Wow. I looked up that Orijen stuf and just wow. That is the best ingredients list I have ever seen on a commercially prepared dog food. Unfortunately it isn't available in my area though, so im just going to stick with wellness, which im pretty sure is good enough :)
finnfinnfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #32 
Gen2387

My dog is on Medi-Cal Mobility Support (for joints and articulations) because she's a 12 years old Bernese Mountain Dog and has arthritis. I managed to decrease to almost 50% the anti-inflammatory medication she needed just because of the food. Proof that it works. Lol!

As long as you give what's appropriate for your dog's age: puppy food until about 1 year old, then a good maintenance diet or one that's appropriate if he/she has a particular health problem you should be alright.
Feed the dog measured quantities each day in one or two feeding time. Remember that the quantities that's on the bag is only a GUIDE. You might have to give a little more or a little less depending on your dog's metabolism. Dog obesity is dangerous (just like human obesity) a couple of pounds on a small dog can be like 50 pounds on a human being, it causes arthritis, diabetes, cardiovascular/respiratory problems...
Sorry I'm rambling, it,s the vet tech in me. Lol!
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:13 PM   #33 
Bettanewbie60

I totally agree with starrlamia and others...grains and wheat are not necessary for dogs, and not good for them either! I am wheat/grain free myself, not wanting to ingest GMO wheat/corn etc. I am healthier at 51 than I was at 30! My dogs deserve the best in nutrition also! I'm happy to see that you are researching and finding the best food for your furry friend! I know this post was a while ago, so I hope you are enjoying your new companion/friend!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:50 PM   #34 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
I totally agree with starrlamia and others...grains and wheat are not necessary for dogs, and not good for them either! I am wheat/grain free myself, not wanting to ingest GMO wheat/corn etc. I am healthier at 51 than I was at 30! My dogs deserve the best in nutrition also! I'm happy to see that you are researching and finding the best food for your furry friend! I know this post was a while ago, so I hope you are enjoying your new companion/friend!
Thank you for the support :). Someone else actually adopted the dog I wanted, but sometime this week I am going down to the animal shelter to go see what they have there :)
finnfinnfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:54 AM   #35 
Aurie

We use Purina Exclusive from our feed store. If you rate dogfood on a 1-10 scale where "Attaboy" is 1 (or the stuff you could get by the pound at my local grocery store) and $100 a bag stuff is 10, I'd rate this as a 7.5 .. Not the best out there, but not nearly the worst. It's only available at feed stores and runs us $40 for a 30 lb bag and when we buy 6 we get one free =^_^= and don't have to buy 10 within a calendar year blah blah

Oh and wheat isn't in the first 10 ingredients but I'm not sure if it's wheat free, I just know it's not in the first 10. Our dog with a severe wheat allergy eats it and loves it and soooo many people compliment us on our dog's coat
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #36 
Laki

Cost is NOT the only thing you look for. The guy who played Robin in the 1960's batman sells terrible quality food for almost 100$ a bag. I wouldn't feed that to the birds.
IT's really up to the consumer and their pet's needs. The kind the op picked up is good :) I'm happy her dog will have fantastic nutrition. Also, finnfinn, I cannot wait to see who chooses you!!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:16 AM   #37 
Aurie

Oh I know cost isn't everything, but some people think it is. That was my point, that cost isn't everything, but when it's $0.25 a lb from a bin at the local food mart it makes you look closely at it's ingredients
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #38 
staffylover

Fish4dogs is a good food, not sure if it is availble in the US?
staffylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #39 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by staffylover View Post
Fish4dogs is a good food, not sure if it is availble in the US?
Ive never heard of it. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought fish based foods aren't as good due to high levels of salt & mercury? :/ I mean I'm sure it's much better than corn and wheat xD
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #40 
Aahnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen2387 View Post
I'm a veterinary technician so I'm pretty sure I can help you with that. Lol! The difference between dog food bought in supermarket, petshops and vet. clinics are the ingredients they put in them. Basically the food you're going to buy in supermarket or walmarts are the ''junkfood'' of the animal world. It's cheap because the proteins and meat used are scraps left from the animal (chicken, beef...).

Food that's sold in vet clinics are exclusive to them, you can't find them anywhere else. The reason that it's a little more expensive is that the companies have research centers and a lot of research went behind the food. The also use the best part of the animals to get the proteins from. Don't get fooled if you buy Purina Veterinary Diets just because it says by-products on the bag. The by-products used in this food is actually the best parts of the animals like the liver, bone marrow, intestines.

Petshops sell some good food too. It's not as high quality as vet food but it's still good.
My advice is go for a little more quality food, at least you gonna be sure your puppy gets something good. Also the food sold at vets might be a little more expensive but most of the time the quantities that you need to give to your dog are a little lower to meet the same vitamins/proteins/calories that he needs. If it's a small breed dog, the price difference is low. Most of the time the prices are vets are competitive so go check it out. :)

Hope I helped a little!
Well, IMHO, thats not true at all. You can buy hills in vet, and its actually a poor quality of food for cats, especially the urinary ones. They are so full of grains/fillers and cats dont eat vegies.

You can most certainly buy quality, even the best in your store or online for convenience. For dogs there are so many types, and it depends on the age of the animal what/which you choose. Also the size of the dog.

Some large dogs grow so quickly, you need to get foods with extra calcium, or add it at each feeding.

Read the ingredients, just like you would when choosing your own foods . Dogs love grains and vegies, they just need to be in the correct percentage. You can make your own dog/cat foods too, which is a lot of fun, for a while.

I did that for years. I had a dobie, a grey, and a chihuahua. I made it once a week, purchased the vit powder online. Its when i was a true vegan, and I turned all dogs/cats to vegans with me. Lol. The cats loved their food, although its very difficult to find non-meat sources for their vits.

Good-luck on your new pup!
Aahnay is offline   Reply With Quote