Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #1 
Mo

New Salamander Pair!!

I thought I would post some pictures of my new imports that I just won on AB. The male is from Aquastar and the female is a replacement from sirinut

Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #2 
laoshun

thats some crazy ohm-ness
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #3 
Mo

Lol. Thank you!
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #4 
FrostSinth

beautiful!! Congrats on the win! Definitely take pictures when they are settled in!
FrostSinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:07 PM   #5 
Spazzfish

In a few mounths im going to need some of their babies ;)
Spazzfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:39 AM   #6 
bettalover2033

I have to say that as much as I love bettas, HMs are not my favorite tail type so I may be a bit harsh and nit picky with form and finnage.

This Pair is acceptional. First for the male, I would have to say that what bothers me most about him is that he has an anal fin that is too long and this will most definitely be passed on to the fry. Being a rosetail, he has excessive rays. as for his anal, the anal fin has a curl on it near the back (closest to the caudal) and it also looks shorter in about a mm. He is an OHM, but his caudal is a bit too far up towards the dorsal and causes that 'curve' in the fish's lower back (the space in between the dorsal and caudal) which will also be passed on. Also his caudal has an uneven lining. That is partly the rose tail. A benefit is that the dorsal and caudal are very closely leveled unlike the caudal and anal fins. He has no spoon head so thats great the ventral fins are not ideal because they should be in an upward pointing knive looking shape; and Lastly, his dorsal is very nice.

As for the female...She has a very nice dorsal. Wide dorsal fins are ideal. She has a nice D shaped caudal which is very good because she'll compliment his flaws of the U shaped caudal. She has no spoon head which is great. The caudal looks like it was bitten a little off the top half. Her being a Halfmoon, I'm not likening the fact that her anal fin is too long. Overall, she's a nice one.

Both of them having long anal fins will make the fry come out with long anal fins.
Remember to always have the female with better form and finnage than the male if possible. Females are the ones that pass most of the form and finnage on while it's usually the males with the color.

I personally really like the "dumbo" ears on them. Though you should know that the big pectorals are considered a flaw for the IBC. So overall, the female is a really good candidate and I don't like the male much. I ignored him when I viewed him on AB. Eh, what the heck to for it! I'm sure you'll have a fed culls and some with bad finnage in F1, but you'll be able to fix it in the next generations. Whatever you do, don't buy different pairs because working on only one tail type and perfecting it is actually the best thing to do when line breeding even if you're not going to be showing. Aqua star rarely has real breeding quality bettas, they are usually over priced as well.

Well good luck!=]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
I thought I would post some pictures of my new imports that I just won on AB. The male is from Aquastar and the female is a replacement from sirinut

bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote