Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #1 
JessSH

Sick Rescue Fish (Pics)

Hi!
I'm a newbie to the forum & to the world of fishkeeping. I just got my first fish in April (Stell, my profile pic) & I'm already addicted. :) I rescued a fish in pretty rough shape today from PetCo & I really need some help figuring out what's wrong & the correct treatment. He's lethargic, has very little interest in food, clamped fins & his tail is in bad shape, which is what worries me the most. I think most of it stems from the deplorable condition (even by PetCo standards) of his little cup. It had algae, hair, tons of poop & a lot of black bits. It also smelled so bad that I almost vomited. When I brought him home, I put him in a large tupperware container with his old cup water & added about 1/4 of the cup amount of water treated with SeaChem Prime. I waited about 4 hrs then added some more of the SeaChem so now the waters a 50/50 mix. I also was able to get him to eat some food. He ate 4 pellets in about 2 hours with some prodding from me. So far he's perked up a little & is moving a little bit more.
My questions are:
-Should I add him to his new tank tonight or would the water difference be too much for him?
-The tupperware water isn't warm enough (no heater), but I have a heater going in my new tank. I should add him to the new tank when the tupperware water & tank water are about the same temp right?
-What's up with his fin? Tail rot or is he a tail biter? Should I add aquarium salt? If so, for how long? (See below pics. In the first 2 pics you can see the black spots from his cup. I don't know if I need to worry about that.)
Any other tips or advice?
Thank you!!
Jess
Housing
What size is your tank? Going to move into 1.75 gal
What temperature is your tank? 76-78
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Anubias plant only

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? HiKari Bio-Gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? 4 pellets twice a day, fast Sat

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? SeaChem Prim

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Haven't tested
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Just bought today
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

Attached Images

JessSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #2 
megaredize

i would put him in his tank tonight, since his cup water was that bad, its better for him to be in clean water right away. especially clean warm water. i would do the salt treatment for his fins and do partial water changes to his tank everyday. clean warm water and some aquarium salt will help his fins heal and grow back
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:36 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

I would say very slowly take out the old water and replace it with new. If you have a turkey baster or eye dropper, every 30 minutes or so suck out old water. When the cup is filled with mostly new water, add him to the tank the way you normally aclimate your fish. Too much of a water change may do more damage then good if his cup is full of ammonia.

My last petco fish turned the api ammonia test kit blue and that isnt even on their chart!

His ammonia level is probably off the charts as well. Give him some time to settle in and heal a bit. If he is eating, thats a good sign. Usually all they need is clean, warm water. It looks like he has fin rot so some aquarium salt is OK. 1 teaspoon per gallon but do not use it more then 10 or so days. It kinda looks like he either bit his fins or was in a fight with another fish - either way clean, warm water is the best cure

This was my last petco fish
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #4 
MoonShadow

Poor little skinny guy! I agree with the advice that Tikibirds gave you about slowly adding the new water! I get a lot of rescues with symptoms similar to your little mans, skinny, pale, with fin rot. And do the same thing for all of them... Clean, warm water, stress coat, prime and Vitachem (though that can be very hard to find anywhere but online) I add a bit of salt the first night, but try not to over use it since too much can have adverse effects. A high protein diet is also important to get the bettas strength up, and to help those fins start to heal. Feed high quality pellets like NLS or Omega one, supplemented with live or frozen brine shimp.

Here are a couple before and afters of rescues that looked a lot like yours when I got them!

Garrison when i got him

Garrison a month later

Garrison 2 months later

Puck when i got him

Puck Now
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #5 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonShadow View Post
Poor little skinny guy! I agree with the advice that Tikibirds gave you about slowly adding the new water! I get a lot of rescues with symptoms similar to your little mans, skinny, pale, with fin rot. And do the same thing for all of them... Clean, warm water, stress coat, prime and Vitachem (though that can be very hard to find anywhere but online) I add a bit of salt the first night, but try not to over use it since too much can have adverse effects. A high protein diet is also important to get the bettas strength up, and to help those fins start to heal. Feed high quality pellets like NLS or Omega one, supplemented with live or frozen brine shimp.

Here are a couple before and afters of rescues that looked a lot like yours when I got them!

Garrison when i got him

Garrison a month later

Garrison 2 months later

Puck when i got him

Puck Now

amazing what some good care and love can do :)
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #6 
JessSH

Thanks for the advice guys! I put him in his new tank last night when the tank water & container water temps were about the same then plugged in the heater so it could slowly get warm. He LOVES his new tank. He had trouble swimming last night, but seemed deterimined to explore his new home. He'd swim a couple inches, take a break & stretch his fins a little, then swim again. The difference this morning is amazing!!! He's swimming great & absolutely devoured his 4 Omega One pellets in less than 10 seconds! His head is now a completely different color, his body is starting to kind of change & his fins are way brighter. His personality is starting to come out now too. He loves to show off his fins & body for me when the tank top is off & he seems very affectionate. I cupped my hand & stuck it in the tank a little & he swam right into my hand & just relaxed there. :) I'm so excited to see him feeling better. I used the aquarium salt last night, ordered the VitaChem today, & will be buying live shrimp tomorrow. BTW, I decided to name him Herc (short for Hercules). Here's a new pic:
Attached Images

JessSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #7 
Tikibirds

He certainly is looking good :)

For the fin regrowth - stress coat or Krodon's fish protector should help a bit.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #8 
lelei

It is truly amazing how different these fishy's look after the proper treatment, how their drab gray, blossoms into vibrant coloring, and their energy peaks, and you can see it in their face, and in their eyes, I recently took in a rescue and he was the same way..he is thriving today..after he had his salt treatment, and it's a beautiful thing to see how a fish can literally come back from the brink..and become something soo beautiful!!! Good Luck with your lil guy..he looks beautiful!!!
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #9 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
It is truly amazing how different these fishy's look after the proper treatment, how their drab gray, blossoms into vibrant coloring, and their energy peaks, and you can see it in their face, and in their eyes, I recently took in a rescue and he was the same way..he is thriving today..after he had his salt treatment, and it's a beautiful thing to see how a fish can literally come back from the brink..and become something soo beautiful!!! Good Luck with your lil guy..he looks beautiful!!!
+1 I agree :)
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:37 PM   #10 
jriley

What a difference some TLC can make! Good job!
jriley is offline   Reply With Quote