betta fish

Old 07-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #21 
MyRainbowBettaFish

*passes out from seeing so much stupidity*
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #22 
ao
TFK Moderator

I was going to email them saying I will adopt the fish. but I doubt the black moor can survive in a pond :/
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #23 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
I was going to email them saying I will adopt the fish. but I doubt the black moor can survive in a pond :/
Actually many people put Moors in a pond, including fancies i have heard
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #24 
ao
TFK Moderator

then I'll call them and see if they are willing to adopt it out. They're close by so I can pick him up. water temperature is around 45 right now. I think I will need to take time acclimating an indoor fish. suggestions are welcome
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #25 
nel3

the fish bowl is sad and ironic at the same time. you have a fish bowl with a fish that'll die right inside the trap.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:56 AM   #26 
deso

"Are you kidding me
I hate the betta nazi who say you have to get a 5 gallon tank per fish Its a stinking fish i keep all 5 of my betta in vases they are just fine and two of them are 3 so yah"
—Guest Nyan

This one pisses me off to no end. He's got awful grammar and an even more awful attitude. If it's "just a stinking fish", then why bother keeping it at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
It amazes me that some of these people have the brain functionality to even get up in the morning...never mind actually use a computer..... >:(

And just to prove my point, my idiot neighbor is actually shooting off fireworks right now...and then LAYING DOWN right next to them as they go off!
And this is pure stupidity. So sorry to hear it, I've got a nightmare neighbour too. On that note, aren't fireworks illegal in most of the USA?
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #27 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by deso View Post
"Are you kidding me
I hate the betta nazi who say you have to get a 5 gallon tank per fish Its a stinking fish i keep all 5 of my betta in vases they are just fine and two of them are 3 so yah"
—Guest Nyan

This one pisses me off to no end. He's got awful grammar and an even more awful attitude. If it's "just a stinking fish", then why bother keeping it at all?

And this is pure stupidity. So sorry to hear it, I've got a nightmare neighbour too. On that note, aren't fireworks illegal in most of the USA?
Depends on where you live and my betta's are my babies. I sobbed when I saw that romeo was half dead. Now Romeo is back to his old self, well besides his tail is still bitten
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #28 
Catfish Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRainbowBettaFish View Post
We should all write on their as a guest- And say NO< NO NO!!!!!!
I did and I stated what a betta needs; filter, heater, high protein food, large tank etc. I think people who treat bettas cruely are just ignorant; I'm only 12 and even I know how to look after them!
Catfish Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #29 
Blue Fish

Argh, somehow that didn't quote properly...erasing this and trying again. Sorry!
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #30 
Blue Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenwinds View Post
I don't know...I would never have tried anything like this but....I had a 10gal that I divided with one of those firm plastic craft screens(looks like cross stitch material enlarged to use yarn??). The screen was covered with live moss and the tank fairly heavily planted. I had a blind copper HM in one side by himself and needing room, I put 3 almost mature females in the other side. They couldn't see each other and everything was fine...until about 1 mos ago, I came home from a 4 day trip(my husband was taking care of the fish) to find that the girls had found a crack in the divider (or they pushed it open...it was in those binder slots that you silicon into place)....and they were all coexisting happily! The male, Jasper, is a nervous tail biter...eats his fins whenever he gets stressed, which is quite often as he is blind. He is doing fine, fins are the longest they've been since he arrived from Thailand in one or those tiny bags with his tail in shreds!
Needless to say, I monitored situation pretty much constantly since returning home to this. They are all aware of each, I have seen no signs of aggression at all, they swim with and around each other, and they continue to do great now that they're all sexually mature. I removed the divider and moved the plants around a bit. The girls have made a bubble nest and they all swim around it. I call it Jasper's harem...but: I believe this works because he is blind.

Again: do not try this! I believe this works because 1) the male is completely BLIND, 2) the tank is heavily planted, 3) the females were introduced to this environment before they became sexually mature!
I shudder to think what would have happened if it was one of the other males, especially an aggressive one, such as Tear.
I still monitor the situation on a constant basis!
I've read about this a couple of other times, even with two non-impaired males existing peacefully together after having been divided for some time. I don't know enough about betta behaviour to say for sure, but I know with land animals if they have time to get used to one another and to some degree to establish dominance over one another (even if divided, they are still aware of each other and they establish these relationships) and this makes it much easier when they are actually put in together.
I'd assume the same thing would be the case with bettas who accidentally got together, though, as has been repeated many times (but always bears repeating again!) DO NOT TRY IT just because you can. If it happens by accident that's one thing...but do to it on purpose is quite another.

And as for your blind guy, he may feel more secure with having other fish in there with him. I would think that he probably feels safer with other fish, which decreases his tail-biting and allows him to be less-stressed and healthier. I'm glad he's doing well though, and what a great solution for his issues! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote