Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #1 
Sadie555

Heating a tank

I started out with a 1 gallon bowl, using a mini automatic preset 10 WATT heater, which barely kept the temp at 73 degrees F. Now I transferred to a 3 gallon tank, and got a new 25 WATT heater, and turned it up all the way. So far, it's only at 72 degrees F. My room is usually very cold (I'm renting a basement apartment of a townhouse, so I don't really control the room temp.), so I'm not surprised that the heaters don't work too well.

My question is, should I wait and see if the new heater warms up the water more? Or should I take the old heater and put it in the water WITH the new one? I only ask because I want my girl to be comfy, and she's waited quite a few days in a chilly temp.
Sadie555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Just wait. Heaters usually take a long time for some reason. You can put the 2 heaters, but I don't know what will turn out.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #3 
Sprinkles55

I'm getting a 3gallon tank, and I'm looking for a heater to buy...what are you using?
Sprinkles55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #4 
Kenny G

Give it a full 24 hours and if it doesn't work you know to take it back and invest in something else. Something that has an adjustable thermostat so you know your water temps will be a minimum of 78 degrees.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkles55 View Post
I'm getting a 3gallon tank, and I'm looking for a heater to buy...what are you using?
I have a suckish one, so I won't tell you. But don't worry, it's a good temperature. Stays around 75F. A good heater is like the Hydor THEO or the Jager Heater.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:11 AM   #6 
Sprinkles55

I just bought the Hydor THEO for the new tank I ordered :)

Another question considering I'm fairly new - What thermometers are best? Digital ones I assume?
Sprinkles55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:30 AM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

I like the ones that are able to float and has a suction cup. I have that kind.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:37 AM   #8 
deso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkles55 View Post
Another question considering I'm fairly new - What thermometers are best? Digital ones I assume?
Nope, surprisingly, the best and most accurate thermometers are the old-fashioned glass ones. As far as I know, they're also less expensive than the digital ones, which is another point in their favour.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:49 AM   #9 
Aahnay

Hi,

I started a thread on heaters here

I was having such a hard time finding a good one, er one that people actually liked. I had thought i would get several replies from everyone here to help.

I purchased the last one i listed. Its in the mail, it only had 2 reviews, but since they have been in the business for 41 years, IIRC, i think it will be a winner.

Would love to see more folks add to the heater list. Then perhaps i can set up a poll, and then someone can rewrite it, all in one post for a sticky.

Also, they say to buy for several gallons over your needed size.
Aahnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:02 AM   #10 
finnfinnfriend

Do heaters have some kind of sensor that can tell what the water temp is? Because I have a 50 watt heater for my 5gal (usually rated for 10gals) and when I set the temperature to like 78 it heats the water to 84
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote