Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #11 
LebronTheBetta

Be careful, test strips are really inaccurate.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:17 PM   #12 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Maybe he is just shocked and needs some time to wind down ?

Hope he feels better :) !
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:31 PM   #13 
teeneythebetta

Test strips are very unreliable, liquid test kits are way more accurate. We ask for actual numbers of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate because what may be "normal" to someone could really be what is or could be causing a problem.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:34 PM   #14 
Tikibirds

Quote:
It just seems like a snub of an answer when someone asks a legitimate question and gets a full on questionnaire for a response.
Its alot easier to find the info when people USE the questionnaire then to read through a novel. There is a reason why its stickied in the first place.

Did he start getting weird after the water change? Maybe you forgot to add conditioner or something go into the water, like a chemical or something on your hands. Do you notice anything physically wrong like fuzzies, white spots, ect on his body?

I would try doing another water change, just to make sure noting nasty got into the water to upset him. my mother is constantly using stuff like febreeze around my fish that are in the kitchen. Did you or anyone else spray or use harsh chemicals in his vacinity?

ditto on the test strips. I had them at first and they were very hard to read. If you can, go with the liquid test kit. I can test all 3 but usually only do the ammonia test.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 07-04-2012 at 11:42 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #15 
Stonehenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
Its alot easier to find the info when people USE the questionnaire then to read through a novel. There is a reason why its stickied in the first place.

Did he start getting weird after the water change? Maybe you forgot to add conditioner or something go into the water, like a chemical or something on your hands. Do you notice anything physically wrong like fuzzies, white spots, ect on his body?

I would try doing another water change, just to make sure noting nasty got into the water to upset him. my mother is constantly using stuff like febreeze around my fish that are in the kitchen. Did you or anyone else spray or use harsh chemicals in his vacinity?

ditto on the test strips. I had them at first and they were very hard to read. If you can, go with the liquid test kit. I can test all 3 but usually only do the ammonia test.

Yep but I didn't write a novel so yeah. Nothing got in the tank that I was aware of. There is nothing physically wrong either.
Stonehenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:02 AM   #16 
Purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehenge View Post
Yep but I didn't write a novel so yeah. Nothing got in the tank that I was aware of. There is nothing physically wrong either.
Honestly, they're going out of their way to help you. You don't have to have such an attitude.

Annnnyways, it just sounds like your fish is stressed. This can come from a lot of different things, and sometimes there's really no reason. Are there any dark horizontal lines that were not there before? Is he eating? Do you use water conditioner? How did you acclimate him? Did you use anything different in the new water (new brand of conditioner, salt, etc)? How often do you do water changes? What do you feed him?
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:08 AM   #17 
Tikibirds

Hmmm....no idea then. I also have moapy fish. His tail fin is like almost always clamped unless he is flaring at something. I tried everything - big tank, small tank, divided tank...added lots of silk plants...pain in the butt he is. No stress strips, not sick...maybe I'll just fill his tank full of silk plants.

Do you have alot of plants and stuff or is your tank more bare?The only other thing I can think of is try adding in more plants. If there is a big open space, it may be stressing him out.

You said no filter, right? a current could cause stress as well.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #18 
Purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
You said no filter, right? a current could cause stress as well.
They did say there was a filter... AHA.

Is your filter running lightly or it is making a lot of movement? Bettas like VERY calm water.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:03 AM   #19 
Stonehenge

The filter is running at a trickle. I don't have an attitude either all I ask is that people actually read the post instead of firing off a bunch of already answered questions. I am looking for help, not looking for a bunch of questions that I already answered.

Last edited by Stonehenge; 07-05-2012 at 03:06 AM.
Stonehenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:09 AM   #20 
Purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehenge View Post
The filter is running at a trickle. I don't have an attitude either all I ask is that people actually read the post instead of firing off a bunch of already answered questions. I am looking for help, not looking for a bunch of questions that I already answered.
It really helps if it's in an organized "list" that most of us are familiar with. We that the form for a reason.

Well, poop.

Please answer these questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple View Post
Are there any dark horizontal lines that were not there before? Is he eating? Do you use water conditioner? How did you acclimate him? Did you use anything different in the new water (new brand of conditioner, salt, etc)? How often do you do water changes? What do you feed him?