Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2012, 01:03 AM   #1 
Checkerbird

Exclamation Frustrated

I am starting to get a bit frustrated. I have posted two post before this one over the last few weeks. My daughter's betta Blu has has a grey puffy patch/spot on his side. First week I treated him with "Fungus Clear fizz tabs" by Jungle, no change to the puffy grey patch/spot, however his fins looked like they perked up a bit. Second week since the fungus medicine did not clear that up I switched to Maracyn and followed the instructions. Yesterday was his last treatment. Tonight I looked at him his grey puffy patch/spot has cleared up a bit now he has two small white spots on the side of his head, a fuzzy spot on his pelvic fin, and a small spot eating away at one spot on his tail fin and 3 small spots eating away at his dorsal fin. These spots are very very small and appeared today.

No change in his behavior he is still a very active fishy.

I need some help...

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Two live plants

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 times a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? approx 25 % (1 Gallon)
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? aquasafe

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? White spots on various places on fish
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 1 day
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? yes he has been being treated for a unknown grey raised patch/spot on his side. 1 week fungus med 2 week antibiotic med
How old is your fish (approximately)? very young got him 2 months ago. Was listed as a female short undeveloped fins when he was bought.
Checkerbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #2 
cjconcepcion

is he in a hospital tank for treatment? those antibiotic/antifungal meds will kill your live plants, i would recommend getting a hospital tank so you can do a 100% water change and complete cleaning of his regular tank... in case something in there started the fungus growth.. and if you bring a plastic baggie with about a spoonful of water to petsmart they will test it for free so you can get those water parameters for us :)
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #3 
Laki

Hmm, how sad. I'm sorry to hear about your troubles.
You tried the stronger meds. Just do a 100% water change and add 1tsp of aq salt per gallon (pre mix it first so it dissolves) and see how he does. This would be easier in a tank smaller than 5g so you don't have to turn off the the filter and break the cycle.
I don't know what else. White spots indicate ich but without pics or more details its hard to tell. I can't help you with the fuzz :( Sorry.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #4 
Aus

At the top of this forum is a sticky thread on diseases. Actually, there's two - and I believe the post on 'Columnaris' is in the second, sorry if it's not. Read that. or google the disease for pics - does this look like what your fish has?

Columnaris (the fuzzy white patches) can be hard to shift. I have read of people having success with Kanaplex (an antibiotic) when other meds failed. Do give him a few days of just clean, warm water between courses of meds, to avoid stressing him out with too many harsh medications.

If the smaller spots are more solid, like salt crystals, he'll also have ich. But don't bother about that for now. Columnaris can be a lot more dangerous.. treat that first, if he turns out to have ich as well.

He could also have saprolegnia, a true fungal infection.. Note: the 'fungus' often referred to by many treatments for the columnaris bacteria is not a true fungus at all. Sapro, however, is a kind of mold - it has a greyish look to it and likes to colonise already damaged/dead flesh rather than eating away healthy flesh like columnaris and so is often kicks in after another disease has killed off some skin, a secondary infection rather than primary.

Some pictures would really be a help in figuring out what it is, exactly.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #5 
Checkerbird

Here are a few pictures, trying to take pictures of a fish is challenging. On 3 I circled and labeled the problem areas, and three are normal pictures. Hope this helps some.

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/...bird/fuzz2.jpg
http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/...bird/Fuzz1.jpg
http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/...bird/fuzz3.jpg

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/...bird/fuzz5.jpg
http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/...bird/fuzz4.jpg
http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/...bird/fuzz6.jpg
Old 07-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #6 
Checkerbird

WATER STATS from petco
Ammonia: 1.0
Nitrate:
Nitrite:
pH: 8.0+
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

I came home and retested to make sure.
WATER STATS
Ammonia: test strip didn't have this but I am going to assume it is the same as the petco test
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: .5
pH: 8.4
Hardness: 150
Alkalinity: 300

Chlorine: 0
Old 07-05-2012, 02:57 AM   #7 
Aus

Your ammonia and nitrites ought to be 0.. or as close to that as you can make it, all the time. Perhaps up your water changes, until you get readings of 0 for both. I'm pretty sure one gallon a week isn't going to keep your water pristine... perhaps two x 25% percent? I don't have a 5 gallon tank, and my bigger tanks are NPT so I really have no idea what's optimal for 5g filtered..

Test strips are terrible.. waste of money, I think. Better to save up for a liquid master test kit, worth every cent.

And.. I think that's why your fish has skin issues, ammonia exposure eats away the slime coat and skin/makes them sick/weak and disease creeps in. More water changes will help him heal, for sure.

But if he had columnaris, he'd likely be a very sick fishy by now. I'm tentatively calling it saprolegnia (true fungal infection, not "fungus" ie, bacterial columnaris) but it'd be great to get some more opinions.. also, as to what treatments for that are best/available in your area - I'm Australian, and we don't have all the same meds available here.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #8 
Checkerbird

I did a water change last night and am treating with aquarium salts. I figured he would be acting sick if this was something nasty. Quite the opposite he is active swimming all over his tank with his fins up and flaring when he interacts with me. Took his plants out last night to wash them off and he got all depressed, put them back this morning and he is all happy about them being back.