Betta Fish Forum banner

Concerned

500 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  TerryDash 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I'm a new Betta owner and I am concerned about Terry. (My Betta). He is my first Betta fish and I have had him for 3 days. He lives in a 3 gallon tank along with 4 bamboo leaves and real aquarium gravel at the bottom of the tank. He has no filter or heater as of yet since I can't afford it atm, but I have read that heating and filtering is essential for him. I test his water PH every morning and evening and I have changed 30% of his water every morning so far. I have yet to buy an ammonia test kit, but I will soon. My concern is that he is swimming with a slight curve and his tummy looks slightly swollen. I think he may be constipated so I will fast him for the next 2 days. He is also swimming a little less than when I first bought him. I have noticed that he rests every couple of minutes on his bamboo leaves which he didn't do yesterday or on day 1. I hope I'm not being paranoid about his health, I just really want him to live a happy and comfortable life. Even though I have only had him for 3 days, I love him lots and he loves to rest near me all the time. Oh, I have also fed him 13 pellets in the past 3 days. 5 on day 1, 4 on day 2, and 4 today. The Pet store man told me to feed him 5 every day, but I think he wasn't accurate about that. I will post pictures of what he looks like in a bit. Thank you guys for your help.

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum.....

Do you know what the water temp is.....also, when you changed the water did you use enough dechlorinator and make sure the replacement water was pretty close in temp to the tank water temp.....

IMO/E-filters are optional for this species and often with the long fin males the filter/water movement can be the cause of fin damage and stress.

You may or may not need a heater, however, its a good idea to have one on hand....Your goal is to maintain a somewhat stable water temp in the 76-80F range.

You do need a thermometer to monitor the tank water temp and the temp of the replacement water used for water changes.

The only chemical additive you need is a good quality dechlorinator that covers-chlorine and chloramine if you are on city water supply....Prime by Seachem is a good one

In a 1gal unfiltered tank-water changes of twice weekly...1-50% and 1-100% should maintain water quality...

The lucky bamboo are fine to use provided that the leaves are out of the water-this plant with slowly rot, die and foul the water if totally under the water.

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals is best. If you have access to mosquito larva-offer a few rinsed on occasion.....

Look forward to pics.....

#3 ·
I apologise for not posting this along with my first post, I just read about it >.<

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallons
What temperature is your tank? n/a but it is 92 degrees F here
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? HBH Betta Bites
How often do you feed your betta fish? 5 pellets day 1, 4 day 2, 4 today

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? every morning
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Betta Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: n/a
Nitrite: n/a
Nitrate: n/a
pH: 7.0
Hardness: n/a
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? he looks a little dull
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he is a bit sluggish
When did you start noticing the symptoms? this morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I wouldn't know
How old is your fish (approximately)? the pet store man doesn't know

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.