Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #1 
Onlyonagoodday

Beginner cycling a 10 gallon tank for the first time

Fish beginner - I have a female betta fish in a small tank at the moment and am starting a larger tank (10 gallons) for the first time. I bought a bunch of equipment. I really want to have a larger tank for her so she will have plenty of room. I will be doing a fishless cycle, but I have never done one before. At the moment I have:
Gravel siphon (for 5-15 gallons)
Decorations with hiding places
heater
gravel
temperature gauge
marineland 100 power filter
tank
prime water conditioner
algae pad
I also bought nutrafin cycle, although I am quite skeptical it will completely cycle my aquarium I have heard that it may speed up the process. Anyone have experience with this? What I really need help with is the cycling process. I have never cycled an aquarium before and I know I need ammonia and test kits but I'm not sure how to know when the aquarium is fish safe. Basically are there any good cycling guides a beginner like me would be able to follow? Also I would like to do a planted tank. Most of the information that I have on doing my first aquarium comes from this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHlGz...ure=plpp_video
which is probably not the best resource but It was the most straightforward thing I could find. However I was unable to find either the complete substrate or the quick sticks suggested. What I did find were plant tablets, any general thoughts on these? Are they effective? Also are there any other suggestions fr plants for this size aquarium, the video only recommends two and I am limited to things carried by my local petco and petsmart.
Sorry for the overwhelming amount of questions the employees at my petco to be wildly unhelpful.
Thanks!
Onlyonagoodday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:46 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. Some people say that those cycle product ts work and others say it doesn't. Here is a sticky a out cycling that might be helpful to you.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...m-cycle-47838/
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 gallon, beginner, cycling, new tank, planted tank