Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2012, 11:53 PM   #1 
Goldibug

Exclamation Help ASAP!!!

I just bought a new betta from petco. I thought he looked healthy but once I got him home I realized he has fin rot :( Now here's my dilemma. The tank I was planning on putting him in houses my other betta (with divider). Is fin rot contagious in clean water? I've heard it comes from dirty water but I know my tank is healthy. I don't really have anywhere else to put him because I don't have another tank. Will he harm my other betta because of the fin rot? I'm hoping to buy medicine for him tomorrow but its to late for tonight. What works best?
Goldibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:19 AM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

No, it's not contagious. And the best treatment is clean water. Aquarium salt is for bad cases, and high-protein foods are optional.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:24 AM   #3 
Goldibug

Thank you for replying so fast! I was just about to add him to my tank because I'm worried he'll get cold in the 2 qt container. I'm glad to know it shouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure how severe the fin rot is really but the edges of his fins are curling. Should I worry about getting medication or just keep an eye on him for a few days?
Old 07-06-2012, 12:35 AM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

I think you can handle clean water while watching him. And is he a Crowntail? Crowntail Fins sometimes curl because of hard water but it's harmless. He will get better! Don't worry! :)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:23 AM   #5 
Goldibug

No, he was labeled as a delta but his caudel fin looks larger then my super deltas so we'll see when he flares.