Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #1 
Darina91

Exclamation Please help! White mucus thread!!!

I came home to my baby Suki being sick. He has this white mucus thread trailing behind him and its tangled up on his bottom fin. I have no idea what to do, I tried searching for results but don't see anything that matches his certain disease. Does anybody have any idea what this can be? I'm a worried mom and stressing out because I love him and never want to see him sick
Attached Images

Darina91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Can you fill this out:
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #3 
Darina91

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? I have no idea :/
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? I'm not sure, I just have pebbles on the bottom
Is your tank heated? No, I just found out that I should get one tomorrow
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? And he's alone

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tetra Betta floating mini pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets a day (by the way, I never see him eat, I've had him for about a month)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Also by Tetra its called Betta Safe

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
I have not tested anything
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? On his bottom fin, the small fins at the bottom have white on it
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No I'm scared I'll mess up
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Never
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got him from the store about a month ago so I have no idea
I really hope I can help him fast:(
Old 07-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #4 
WetBetta

Yeah, definitively get an adjustable heater and a GOOD thermometer. Slowly raise temp to around 82. Also, don't keep him under light. Dim light is okay but also give him a period of darkness. Like indirect soft light during the day is fine and then no light at night. Bettas generally don't like a lot of light.

You say it looks slimy like mucus? From your pics it looks like a bit of fin rot to me. Just my opinion. I'm not an expert in fin rot but I'm sure some one else will chime in here and tell you to perhaps use some aquarium or epsom salt and how much you should use.
WetBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #5 
Darina91

Alright, so you see the lighting that I have in the tank? Is that too bright? It changes between three colors, red, blue and green. I turn off the lamp each night before I go to bed, maybe I should just stick with natural light, but my apartment gets pretty dark in the daytime with the shades closed.
I'll get the heater and the thermometer tomorrow, but I'm puzzled with his eating, since I give him 3 pellets a day and all I see is it collecting on the bottom, should I switch to something else?
I'm sorry for all the questions, I just want to do everything right and not mess up anymore.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #6 
WetBetta

It's not unusual for a new betta to not eat much, if at all. I'd suggest trying to give him a few frozen blood worms and see what he does with those.

I know the type of lighting you are talking about. My b/f raises cichlids and has a pretty advanced led lighting system on his 150g tank. When we cycle the lights from color to color it seems to really agitate the fish. I think the same could be happening with your betta. Try leaving it set on just one color... I'd suggest blue. If you must light the tank that is. Otherwise, I see no problem leaving him with just the natural lighting that he would get. Where we think it's cool to have a light changing from color to color all the time, imagine all the lights in your apartment doing that. All cycle together from green to red to blue... uhhhhg!!!

Do you keep him close to the window? If not, try to leave the blinds cracked for him. Also, even with blinds, if he is near the window, he could get over heated.

Also, IMHO... 100% water changes are extreme. It removes all your beneficial bacteria. I'd go to 2 50% changes per week. Other folks will have diff opinions on this I know. And when you do your water changes, leave him in his container. Remove the water you want to change using a turkey baster. Then replace with conditioned aged (set out for a day or so) water. Add the water back gently so as not to knock him around. And add it slowly so as to not change the temp in the container more than a degree or so.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #7 
Darina91

Wow thank you so much for this information!
Just one more question, when you say change his water with 2 50% water changes, how do I do it twice? Repeat the steps twice?
Old 07-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

No, he means 2 50% water changes a week. Like, 1 change on Monday, and 1 change on Friday.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:10 PM   #9 
WetBetta

Yup... 2x a week!
Old 07-06-2012, 05:25 AM   #10 
Darina91

Alright awesom thank you guys! This really helped!