Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #1 
Purple

Skinny Fish?

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? Not sure; outside the room he's in is 78F and inside is usually a few degrees warmer
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? 75% frozen brine shrimp; 25% BettaMin flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? Brine shrimp in the morning; flakes in the evening

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a day (working on a better schedule)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? AquaSafe by Tetra (Water conditioner)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His lower body is VERY thin. It's not where his stomach is, so it's not that he's hungry.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? None
When did you start noticing the symptoms? He's my sister's fish, so when my mom and her partner went on a trip to Europe he stayed here while I went to my dad's house with my fish. She was never really at the house, so he didn't get fed. When I came back, he was thin. This was the 28th.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He gets bloated VERY easily. I swear, if you look at that fish wrong he won't poop for a week.
Also, when I came back he had fin rot (I believe from the ammonia) and white fungus on his face. He was also very gray. With daily water changes, his fins look much better and his fungus is almost entirely gone.

How old is your fish (approximately)? She's had him about a year, and got him from a pet store.
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #2 
Laki

Don't clean this tank 100% every day.. It's okay to clean a 1 gallon twice a week.
He is eating a high protein diet. He might benefit from a heater, water temperature will be a little cooler than air temperature around the tank. But I doubt he is "skinny" from the water temp.
Do you have a pic?
How often do you feed him? and how much per time??
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #3 
Purple

I'll try to get a picture when my sister leaves. (I don't want to make her suspicious or offend her. He's in her room.)

I have a heater and two thermometers (2 tanks) and my heater never turns on and the water temperature stays at about 78-80. When I made the thread, I still thought that the heater and thermometer were getting used to the tank, but now I don't think that's the case.

I feed him brine shrimp in the morning and a teeny teeny tiny bit of flakes in his cup while I'm doing a water change (I don't like to dirty up his water right after I clean it) and she feeds him flakes in the afternoon/night, but I don't think she feeds him every day. She usually feeds him until he looks full. She used to overfeed him, and he gets bloated easily, but he hasn't been getting bloated recently so I guess she'd not overfeeding. When I feed shrimp, I split the little frozen cube between my four fish and usually have enough left over to feed one, maybe two fish the next day from that day's cube. I feed every day but Sunday.

Last edited by Purple; 07-06-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote