Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #11 
LebronTheBetta

You don't need medicated food unless your Betta has internal parasites. SBD isn't caused by this.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #12 
cjconcepcion

okay, im a little worried now because when shes still her spine seems to be twisted in this S shape. her belly is a little big, but i havent fed her real food in about a week so i dont know what that could be from, i did leave one of those plaster feeding blocks in there while i was gone though
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #13 
lauralou

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjconcepcion View Post
What was the medicated fish food that you used?
It was the Jungle Anti-Parasite Medicated Fish Food. I bought it locally. True that it may not be as palatable as the regular betta food. Some of the girls ate it just fine, others ate much less. You give it for 3 days, with nothing else. I went with my mother's theory on feeding pets and children. If they get hungry enough, they'll eat it.

Also, the pellets are rather large. I crushed them. They also sunk fast. Maybe because I crushed them... But the girls ate them from the bottom anyway.

Hope that was helpful. And good luck!
lauralou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:09 PM   #14 
Pataflafla

She could be holing herself that way due to discomfort. I had a girl doing that just a few days ago because she was constipated.

Use the epsom salt and give it a day or two before expecting a big impact on her condition. Watch for what color her poop is and the consistency of it as well. A healthy poop should be curled like a cinnamon bun and be whatever color her food was.

As far as what you last fed her, I wouldn't bother with those. They tend to mess the water up as well as cause constipation and allow for over eating. A betta can safely go up to 2 weeks without food safely, though a stretch that long should be avoided if at all possible.

Lebron, internal parasites can cause sbd. Any pressure on the swim bladder can cause the disorder, and a stomach full of parasites can do just that. Let's not rule anything out just yet.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #15 
cjconcepcion

okay... what is the dosage of epsom salt again? i gotta get some of that and two small qt tanks... and this is off topic but can i use the same dosage of epsom salt to treat my betta with popeye?
Old 07-05-2012, 10:37 PM   #16 
cjconcepcion

1 tsp per gallon.. got it.. the daphnia i got is freeze dried... is that still okay? and my other female developed SBD today... its really bad, poor thing cant swim down no matter how hard she tries and looks like a balloon :/ that one was my fault, i was in a hurry and fed her as much as i feed my boys, forgot how small she was.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:07 AM   #17 
Pataflafla

Since it's freeze dried, soak it in some tank water for a minute or two so it doesn't expand after it's eaten. that's the main issue with freeze dried foods causing constipation.

1 tsp/gal, predissolved and plain epsom salt should do the trick. You can use epsom salt long term. for this treatment, go a full 7 days with it even if you see major improvement as the issue may not be completely resolved yet. 100% daily water changes while on any salt as well, so you might want to keep her in a smaller container.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #18 
cjconcepcion

alright ill do that today! thanks!