Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #1 
MissLyss1024

Question Did I screw up?

So I got all my stuff in today to start cycling my 5 gallon tank. I got Seachem Prime and Dr. Tim's Aquatics Ammonium Chloride. I added the Prime (1/2 of thread on cap) directly into the fishless aquarium since I've had it running for a few days with live plants. I waited an hour or so and then added the Dr. Tim's (1 drop per gallon). I waited a while and then tested the water and got 1ppm. I waited longer and tested again and it was down to .5ppm. Now, I think this is from the Prime, since it is supposed to take out ammonia. Now I don't know what to do. I have to get the ammonia up to 3ppm to start, right? I guess I'm still sort of confused on the cycling as well, even though I've looked at countless websites
MissLyss1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

Prime doesn't remove ammonia, instead it converts ammonia into ammonium, which is less toxic to fish (not that it matters in your case). This is to take pressure off during fish-in cycling.

Ammonium is still able to be processed by your beneficial bacteria so no worries there.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #3 
MissLyss1024

I still can't get the starting dose where it should be, no matter how much I add it isn't going over 1ppm.
MissLyss1024 is offline   Reply With Quote