Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2012, 05:29 AM   #1 
marktrc

lead bands safe long term?

some plants have lead bands on them from the pet store. should they be taken off before plants go in with fish or can they be left on for long or short term?
marktrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:48 AM   #2 
Aus

I hate those bands - especially in stocked tanks in the stores.

Exposure to lead even in small amounts is toxic for any animal, so I take mine off right away.

Makes me wonder how much lead ends up in the water/fish... and how many 'mystery deaths' are the result of those plant 'sinkers'. Here's a relevant article:

http://www.doctoryourself.com/lead.html

Last edited by Aus; 07-06-2012 at 05:54 AM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #3 
ColleenT

i cut them off and use a rubber band. of course this does not prevent them from floating up, so you may want to anchor them to driftwood or something..
ColleenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #4 
Silverfang

for some odd reason I thought those bands were supposed to be special treated metal that was safe for water
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #5 
Aus

It appears to be just regular old, toxic lead - which is banned and has been replaced by zinc in Europe but not here, I think, or in the US. Here's it poisoning .. of all things.. a parrot:

http://www.peteducation.com/article....0+1540&aid=190

Glad the parrot ended up okay. Peanut butter..

However, lead leaches such tiny amounts of toxin into the water usually, that many experienced aquarists are not worried about its use, stating that normal water changes in an aquarium with regular levels of alkalinity will take care of it.

But it makes me wonder - what volume of water are they talking about? And what happens to a small aquarium with high level of alkininity? Does a metal-binding water conditioner like Prime take care of those trace amounts?

And by the by, another interesting article, discussing all toxic metals in aquariums:

http://theaquariumwiki.com/Metal_poisoning
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #6 
ZergyMonster

I was told that those are not made from lead but another soft metal that doesn't affect water quality, from a reputable plant seller. I have used several of these bands in my tanks to no ill effects and will continue to use them if I see fit. Since my plants have recently taken root I no longer need them to weigh them down. Though I do use them for weighing down zucchini for my snails.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #7 
Aahnay

found this: 'I found a package of weights that aren't lead, but rather zinc and
magnesium. I discard weights that could be made of lead, since it
dissolves into water under acidic conditions.' here

I have something, some plug, or converter i just received, and on the warning label, it states to 'wash your hands after touching' the chord due to lead poisoning. The chord looks like all the rest, wire coated in paper and rubber/plastic/?

I wrapped it back up, washed my hands and am still thinking on it =(

So many things in our bodies today are accumulated. Who knows what max level you are at? What if just one more touch, or bite, or breath, or...

Aahnay is offline   Reply With Quote