Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2012, 01:27 AM   #1 
mutestar

Covering Tanks/Feline Protection

This is one of those practicality questions. I have a cat and a fish: never a good combo.

While kitty has been good for the most part and wasn't within striking distance, the other night I caught her up by the tank. She was kicked out of the room for the night. I'm supervising her during the day to avoid disaster.

However, I'm wondering if fishie would be alright covering the top of the bowl with a shoebox lid for the night. Just something so the cat isn't able to get at him so easily while I'm asleep.

I'd also appreciate any tips on how to keep kitty away from the fish. I tried the can full of coins and the little toothpick-and-styrofoam sea urchins with no success. I'm not sure she'd actually get him because he has the ingenious strategy of living in water, but I don't want him hurt either.
mutestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:53 AM   #2 
LizzyP

You can make/buy a lid for aquariums at the pet store. If you're going to use a shoebox lid, put holes in it so they can get oxygen from the surface as well.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:02 AM   #3 
deso

When I had cats and fish together while I was growing up, I just kept them in separate, locked rooms during times that I couldn't be there to supervise them. The best line of defence is a tightly-fitted lid on the aquarium. The shoebox lid idea may work if you can weigh it down with something too heavy for kitty to lift. But if at some point kitty is determined to get fishy, nothing will distract her from her goal.

Funnily enough, the cat that I had at the time seemed far more interested in drinking the tank water (eww!) than going after the fish itself.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:12 AM   #4 
mutestar

It would be nice if she just wanted to drink the water, but the way she watches him and purrs makes me suspect more sinister motives.

While I'm happy to either supervise the kitty or lock her out during the day, the fish is in my bedroom and it's always nice when kitties sleep with you.

The mesh may be a good idea long term, although kitty is happy to lie on my sister's turtle tank (I say the turtle is asking for it with that warm, UV lamp).

For the time being I may go with a hole-y shoe box, with the can of coins on top. If she gets at it, it'll alert me.

Of course I still welcome other ideas and feedback, for tonight I think she'll just be shut out.
mutestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:17 AM   #5 
deso

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutestar View Post
While I'm happy to either supervise the kitty or lock her out during the day, the fish is in my bedroom and it's always nice when kitties sleep with you.
Hehe I know what you mean. That's why I kept kitty in the bedrooms and the fish outdoors or in the sitting room as a kid
deso is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, cat, cover, kitty