Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2008, 11:46 PM   #1 
sunset4403

My new betta keeps flaring

I have read a few of the other posts about flaring, but my new Keoni keeps flaring up at the air stone, that's blocked away from him with the filtration system that came with the tank kit.

The temp is fine and I check it often because of the local temp being weird, and I've done everything that I've been reading, but I don't understand why he's flaring up. He only does this around 9 pm and only for about 15 minutes and then stops.

Any suggestions or ideas of why he's doing this?
sunset4403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:03 AM   #2 
Meatpuppet

what is your tank size?
what are the water parameters? (tested with liquid test kit)
i would suggest getting a heater. rellying on the weather for temp control is not a good idea. it should be around 78degrees constanly.

is your airstone out in the open or is it under an undergravle grid?
i find my betta would flare at anything unusall (like a bright blue air stone) just like yours but the airsone is out of his sight under the grid.
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:00 PM   #3 
sunset4403

Actually, I discovered the problem. It seems that the location of his tank made it so that he could see his reflection against the side. I moved the tank and he stopped, and hasn't done so since.

The tank is a 1.7 gallon tank (the largest I'm permitted to have this this appartment) as for testing kits, I have one on it's way in the mail, I had to special order it, also I had to special order a heater, which is also on it's way, so I have made other modifciations to keep the the temp at 78 degrees, also I set it up with the assistance of someone who has built and set up custome built tanks.

But it turns out that he was just able to see his reflection in one small area of his tank, it was easily fixed by moving the tank or turning on another light in my room.
sunset4403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:03 PM   #4 
Meatpuppet

[quote=But it turns out that he was just able to see his reflection in one small area of his tank, it was easily fixed by moving the tank or turning on another light in my room.[/quote]

aww yes.... thats is another huge reason why betas get so moody
good job
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote