Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2012, 12:38 AM   #21 
indjo
TFK Moderator

As repeatedly stated above, there is no right or wrong way to breed. It depends on what is available to you, both equipment and breeder. Then the character of your pair - you will in time learn from experience how to manipulate them so they will breed for you. And you must learn how to hatch the eggs if they won't properly care for them.

I've bred in 1g, both shallow and normal. I've also bred in 50g deep. I've bred in 3" water as well as 20". In this alone, you can imagine different methods and setups. But I suggest you use the basic 10g setup for your first time and learn as you go along.

Some people prefer new clean water while others, like myself, prefer old aged water. But everyone agrees water change is a key factor in successful fry raising. It keeps ammonia level down as well as reduces stunting hormones released by each fry. Some use tons of plants while others keep the tank bare. Everything, including what you feed fry is personal preference. I suggest you at least use hide outs for the female, either ornaments or plants. Other than that is up to you.

Pumps and filters are also optional. Even the pumps (water or air) are optional. If using pumps in a 60cm or more tank (13g or more), I prefer water pumps set to maximum, buffered by some sort of wooden ornament. But for 7g and below, I use air pumps if at all. Most important, IMO, is cleaning the tanks and water changing - in my case every month/4weeks.

For your first attempt, I suggest you not breed CT as they are in general harder to keep. They need a more specific water chemistry compared to other types. HMPK's would be easier as they tolerate most conditions..... but I'm not sure if you can easily rehome them in your area. HM can be more of a challenge since they need "training" to get their fins open 180*. Further not all fry will be HM. Some or maybe most will turnout delta.

IMO, aggressiveness is an individual thing - there are aggressive/vicious as there are rather gentle in all tail types. I have had VT and HM males (said to be more gentle) kill females. I have also had PK males (said to be more aggressive) not leaving a scratch on the female..... there is no "more aggressive" or "more gentle" based on fin type.

It's not that we keep certain secrets to ourselves, it's just that your question is too general. Shoot us any specific questions and we will try to answer them.
indjo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:40 AM   #22 
LebronTheBetta

OK. HMPK. Got it. I want try those little guys anyway. I won't mind looking at them.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:46 AM   #23 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
As repeatedly stated above, there is no right or wrong way to breed. It depends on what is available to you, both equipment and breeder. Then the character of your pair - you will in time learn from experience how to manipulate them so they will breed for you. And you must learn how to hatch the eggs if they won't properly care for them.

I've bred in 1g, both shallow and normal. I've also bred in 50g deep. I've bred in 3" water as well as 20". In this alone, you can imagine different methods and setups. But I suggest you use the basic 10g setup for your first time and learn as you go along.

Some people prefer new clean water while others, like myself, prefer old aged water. But everyone agrees water change is a key factor in successful fry raising. It keeps ammonia level down as well as reduces stunting hormones released by each fry. Some use tons of plants while others keep the tank bare. Everything, including what you feed fry is personal preference. I suggest you at least use hide outs for the female, either ornaments or plants. Other than that is up to you.

Pumps and filters are also optional. Even the pumps (water or air) are optional. If using pumps in a 60cm or more tank (13g or more), I prefer water pumps set to maximum, buffered by some sort of wooden ornament. But for 7g and below, I use air pumps if at all. Most important, IMO, is cleaning the tanks and water changing - in my case every month/4weeks.

For your first attempt, I suggest you not breed CT as they are in general harder to keep. They need a more specific water chemistry compared to other types. HMPK's would be easier as they tolerate most conditions..... but I'm not sure if you can easily rehome them in your area. HM can be more of a challenge since they need "training" to get their fins open 180*. Further not all fry will be HM. Some or maybe most will turnout delta.

IMO, aggressiveness is an individual thing - there are aggressive/vicious as there are rather gentle in all tail types. I have had VT and HM males (said to be more gentle) kill females. I have also had PK males (said to be more aggressive) not leaving a scratch on the female..... there is no "more aggressive" or "more gentle" based on fin type.

It's not that we keep certain secrets to ourselves, it's just that your question is too general. Shoot us any specific questions and we will try to answer them.
Thank you. I have learned a lot from what you have told me. I think I will try the HMPK. But, there are still a few months to go. It will most likely be this one though. And sorry about my general question. I just wanted to know as much information as possible and want a successful spawn.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #24 
WetBetta

I agree, plakats are the easiest to breed. CT's, uhhhhg... always a pain. Most of my females kick most of my CT's butt's. LOL!

The plakats generally are easier I think. BUT, if you want to get a good idea of how to breed bettas... try a pair of paradise fish first. Same family. They are much easier than bettas. The eggs float. And usually you can leave mom and dad in with the fry. Just to break the ice into the general idea of how to breed bettas, I do suggest this.
WetBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #25 
LebronTheBetta

Uh... OK? I don't think I'll do that. That's not my goal. I think my Dad bred Bettas before. I'll ask him and see if he has any methods.