Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2012, 03:42 AM   #11 
tanseattle

Ok, so what happen if people have too many fish and jars? How do you keep them warm? I just keep my at room temperature for now 6 months, and they look just fine.
tanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:05 AM   #12 
LizzyP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanseattle View Post
Ok, so what happen if people have too many fish and jars? How do you keep them warm? I just keep my at room temperature for now 6 months, and they look just fine.
Are the bettas active? Are they eating? Do they swim, or just sit at the bottom of the jar? It's like keeping a dog in a crate; it will live, but it won't be happy or comfortable. Room temperature that feels good to humans, usually isn't comfortable for bettas, considering they need high 70s to low 80s for it to be nice and cozy.

As how to keep them warm, I suggest moving into at least 1 gal containers that you can put a heater in.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #13 
Aus

To the OP:

Good on you for seeking the correct care for your fish.

2.5 gallons is okay, if that's all you can find/afford for now. The important thing is to take appropriate measures for the size of the tank to keep the water absolutely free of ammonia (the smaller the tank, the more frequent the changes - and the more stress on your fish, but some fish cope well with that, others do not..).

I have my little VT girl in a massively planted, filtered 3.5 gallon with 5 shrimp and she is as happy as can be, and super healthy with it. I am strict with my water tests and 2 x 30% changes - used to be more, but with all the plants in there this schedule is fine for keeping the water pristine.

I have another little guy with some long term health issues in a barebottom 1.5 gallon, and while I feel kind of bad for him it's the best solution I've found to give him some relief from his various problems. I change his water 3x 100% per week, as any ammonia level large enough to show up on the test makes him very ill. And that's what it takes to keep his water clean, and him as healthy as I can make him.

My other guy is a huge plakat, who is soon to own a 10 gallon NPT that is heavily, heavily planted and filtered with a sponge filter as well. I feel this is the best environment for him.

I don't mean to carp on about myself, that was all just to illustrate that different fish can thrive in different environments.. not every betta needs a 10 gallon tank to thrive and have a happy, healthy life. And some will suffer horribly in a 2.5..

I think you'll work it all out. If she needs an upgrade, I have no doubt you'll eventually get her one. Because you seem like a nice and responsible fish owner, to me. :)
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:13 PM   #14 
ashyq

Thanks for all the advice! I've actually gotten quite lucky with my tank situation today! I found out my younger brother has been needing to move his gold fish to a bigger tank from a 10 gallon. I'm getting to take his old 10 gallon which is saving me a lot on costs. His new tank also came with a heater he doesn't need for his goldfish so I'm getting that too. It worked out better than I could have imagined.

I'm thinking about dividing the tank or possibly adding in another tropical species that gets along with bettas and would do well with them in a 10 gallon. If I divided the tank, would it be okay to separate into three sections or should I just do two 5 gallon sections? And if I didn't, what fish would do well with my betta?

So glad I found this forum. Everyone has been immensely helpful, much more so than the people at pet stores. A lot of them seemed misinformed about bettas. First time I went they told me I could just put two females together and they'd be fine. Today when i went with my brother, they told me that my betta would get scared in the 10 gallon and I would have to divide a 1 gallon section because it would be too much space.
ashyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:38 AM   #15 
Vaughan06

Don't worry about dividing the 10 gallon right now. You are a new Betta owner still trying to figure out what she needs to live and thrive. Focus on decorating the tank and getting the water warm. Then let her move into her new habitat.

It isn't a good idea to dive headfirst into buying tankmates or another Betta while you're still working on making things right for your first one.
Vaughan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:43 AM   #16 
ashyq

Most definitely. I wanted to make sure the tank is set up well and she's thriving first. It was more curiosity for the future!
ashyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:21 AM   #17 
Blue Fish

When you are ready, it's easy to divide a 10 gallon, and a fish can live very happily in a divided 10 gal (essentially two 5 gals with one heater and one filter).
As for them not getting lonely...They are solitary fish, but they don't go their entire lives with no interactions. They don't need other fish to be with, but they do need stimulation, and they often seem to find their owners fascinating. :) Not only do you mean food, but you mean sounds and vibrations and colors/patterns/interaction, and betta need that. :) I don't know if they are smarter that some other fish types, but they seem to need more human interaction than other fish I've had over the years. :) It could well be because they live alone and other fish usually live in groups.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in on that point. :)

Oh, one more thing, I don't know for sure, but I'm thinking that I saw somewhere that it wasn't a great idea to have a male and female in a divided tank. I think I read that it stresses them out...but I could be wrong as well. :) If you decide you want a male later, I'd ask on here and I'm sure that someone with more divided tank experience can give you better information than I can. :)

Good luck to you, and don't feel bad...there are *MANY* people on here who have the same petstore background you do...myself included! ;) I kept betta for years in 1 gallon bowls with airstones and not enough water changes because I thought I was giving them a good home...aggh! ;)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium set up, female betta, new owner, questions