Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #13741 
LyzzaRyzz

Lilly had cancer, we found out about a month ago. She had tumors on her liver, kidneys spleen and spine. She was a purebred beagle, and we were told shed only live to be 8-10 years old, and she passed her 13th year in may.
It was so sudden. Before i went to work, she was fine, begging and running around with my other dog, and when i came home and she didnt greet me, i went looking for her. Soon the whole family was looking for her and my dad found her in one of the basement window boxes, in a hole she dug for herself. We brought her inside, and called the emergency hotline to our 24 hour vet. My parents really wanted her to pass at home, because she couldent move at all, we thought one of her tumors finally was pressing against her spine, but she made it through the night, and when i got up, she was walking around, feebly, mind you, but still walking, and she drank some water, but threw it up.
We were getting ready to bring her to the vet to be put down, when my mom called up the stairs and told me to come down.
She waited til everyone left her alone, cause she was a proper lady, and noone could see her pass.
Weve been bringing her to the vet every month or so, so we knew it would be soon, but not so sudden.
She wasnt in any pain, no whimpering, only sighing like she does when wed pet her. She wasnt having bathroom problems, and was managing to keep small small amounts of water down.

My brother used to feed her table food, freaking whole pizzas, hotdogs, and all sorts of nasty stuff. But only him. He moved out about 6 years ago, and since then the only people food shed get is what she stole. She once flew through the air to get my boyfriends tuna melt. She didnt even chew it..just swallowed it and looked for more!
Shes been on wieght control food for most of her life, because of what my brother fed her, and stupid boy, would never believe me when i told him it was bad for her. He now has a dog of his own, who isnt trained, begs and steals and destroys everything. *sigh* You can only do so much.

Lilly was very well taken care of, very spoiled, and very loved. She was always a lady, never rough housed, howled when i would rough house with my Khodii, and never let anyone sniff her butt. She was very regal, and always proper, except when i came to fleeting moments, like when she ate a while muffin, right outta the oven, paper and all! It had barely hit the floor when it was down her throat.

Anyone whose ever had a hound knows the howl...BOOOOOOO!!! Me and my boyfriend have taken to howling whereever shed howl, cause shes not there to do it...
I miss her so much...

I hate it when people feed people food to dogs..they cant handle it! Its not healthy for them, and it allows them to continue behavior that shouldent be allowed.
Im partially glad that khodii throws up any people food. I can catch people who feed him table food, and it gives me an excuse to make people stop. Most people think its okay to slip other peoples dogs people food! Its not right!
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #13742 
LyzzaRyzz

Thank you everyone for your kind words. It really means alot...

I had a cat who was 17 years old, and she was deaf, and couldent clean herself right anymore though she tried, and laid in her bed most of the day. I took care of her day and night, washing her with spray cleaner for cats, when she got abscesses from scratching herself, id drain them, and patch her up. but she still had life! Id find her in the windowsill or the room she was in, and fur on the furniture..
I swear she was running marathons, and just jumping in bed when she heard me, cause she liked the attention.
One day she managed to get out of the room [she used to be an outdoor cat, but my dad has severe cat allergies [and only 3/4 of a lung] so we kept her upstairs in the room next to mine. She managed to get out, and hide well enough so when we opened the front door, she bolted out, and did a belly roll in the sun, and my mom couldent catch her, [shes been semi feral all her life]. for about three days, she was in our yard, laying in the sun, til the neighbor called us and told us cloudy was in the street, that shed gotten hit by a car.
theres no telling how old she wouldve gotten if that didnt happen!
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #13743 
dramaqueen
Banned

We used to have two beagles so I'm familiar with their howl. Lilly sounds like a very special friend and I know she will be missed terribly.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #13744 
Sena Hansler

Lyzza, sorry to hear!!

Quote:
I hate it when people feed people food to dogs..they cant handle it! Its not healthy for them, and it allows them to continue behavior that shouldent be allowed.
I know some dogs, if you feed them people food they refuse their food. Very unhealthy! then you have to starve them so they eat their own food again. :/ Gurgi's like that.

My rant: my 80 gallon is 16 inches wide. 80 gallon aquarium stands are 13 inches wide I cannot find one ;-(
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #13745 
thekinetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Lyzza, sorry to hear!!

I know some dogs, if you feed them people food they refuse their food. Very unhealthy! then you have to starve them so they eat their own food again. :/ Gurgi's like that.

My rant: my 80 gallon is 16 inches wide. 80 gallon aquarium stands are 13 inches wide I cannot find one ;-(
Hey don't fret just buy some 2x4s and build one, it's what we always did and a lot of people do. Don't worry about sturdyness, if it's in doubt sister the 2x4s. If you're worried about looks you can put some 1/4 inch ash or birch plywood on it and it and stain/finish it.
thekinetic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #13746 
Sena Hansler

I actually am curious... How majorly important is it to ahve the sides supported? I mean my desk is 3 inches too short, so 1.5 inches on both sides would be hanging over. I just don't want to have the tank crack

Otherwise I'm overturning the unused wood cabinet thinger and using that
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #13747 
dramaqueen
Banned

My neighbor fed her dog people food and made her go hours without being able to go to the bathroom. The dog supposedly had Cushings disease.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #13748 
moonsand0wls

Kaida (who is very very shy atm because he's new) finally came up to the front of the screen and was looking at me! :D
moonsand0wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #13749 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
I actually am curious... How majorly important is it to ahve the sides supported? I mean my desk is 3 inches too short, so 1.5 inches on both sides would be hanging over. I just don't want to have the tank crack

Otherwise I'm overturning the unused wood cabinet thinger and using that
I would noottt do that with 80 gallons. Too expensive a tank to take the chance, haha.

My mother's dog goes off of her dry food if she gets a freaking treat, much less people food. She's currently refusing her food. She just has to deal with it, though, because she's not getting special treatment, haha. She still eats her wet food when she goes off her dry food, so at least she's getting breakfast. Silly dogs.

I've yet to lose a favored pet, but I am going to be absolutely devastated when my cat goes... I love him so much. He's 12 in September, so he's still got time.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #13750 
thekinetic

I guess my Sadie was a saint of a dog, ate a little treat of people food now and then (loved oatmeal) but didn't mind dog food. But in the end we gave her baked chicken which according to the vet was best. She lived to the ripe old age of 16.

And I still have a hard time roasting chickens.
thekinetic is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou