Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #1 
BubbiBubba

Exclamation Fishless cycling for a betta fish... HELP!!!

Hello Everyone!

Clearly, I am a newbie here. I have been roaming the internet for centuries now, & the stress of my betta fish is making my head ache! Can someone PLEASE help me?!

I am currently attempting my first fishless cycle, & I am pretty impatient.

Info:
~ 5 gallon aquarium; Aqueon Mini Bow
~ built in filter ^
~ light hood; not on for cycling purposes
~ heater made for 2.5-5 gal tanks; constant 8.0 (F)
~ got rid of Tetra Whisper Air Pump because it was too strong
~ no airstone, for obvious reasons ^
~ over an inch thick of gravel & purple acrylic jewels
~ baby java ferns strewn around the bottom of the aquarium
~ decor, such as pots and such
~ no beneficial bacteria available to seed

Water Parameters:
Ammonia - 4.0ppm
Nitrites - 0ppm
NitrAtes - 5.0ppm
pH - 7.6

This fishless cycle has been going on for exactly a week now... NOTHING HAS CHANGED.
I mean, as soon as I added the ammonia, the next day the water was cloudy & had produced this disgusting film on the surface of the water that we are ALL (or most of us) are unfortunately familiar with...
& I had read in a different thread that it was a good sign --- beginning of the cycle! *silent cheer*

The water has cleared up since then (thank the fish gods) & the nasty film is slowly breaking down. YAY!

BUT, here's my real question(s):

1) When will my cycle finally DO SOMETHING???
2) How long will this whole process take? I'd hoped for 3-4 weeks!
3) I AM GOING ON VACATION IN 2 WEEKS (bad planning, obviously) - Should I just add my betta fish in early? Or what???
4) I was also thinking about adding an amano shrimp as well as a ghost shrimp to the tank (my betta fish is a chronic biter... cause highly unknown; decided it was boredom & that he needed friends PRONTO) Will THEY survive the cycle if added early?!
5) IF the cycle actually finishes in time (doubt it ) what do I do??? Will one betta fish & two shrimp be enough to keep the cycle going?!

That's all I can think of for now...

Thank you SO MUCH to people who are willing to respond right away! You do not know how much I will appreciate you!

Master fishkeepers --- Please WELCOME!!!

Greatest Gratitude,
Moi
BubbiBubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:52 PM   #2 
battered

Just have patience, the cycle should take care of itself if you let it run its course. 3-4 weeks is about right on the cycle time.

Do you already have the betta - if so, how are you housing it? How are you planning to take care of the betta during your vacation? How long is your vacation?

If your fish is a tail biter, I don't think adding a ghost and amano shrimp are going to help him in my experience at least.

If your cycle finishes in time, yes, you can add the betta to the tank. By then, the cycle will be "over" and you'll have the BB you need.
battered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #3 
finnfinnfriend

A really experienced lady (OldFishLady) told me that if you have just one betta in the tank, a fish-in cycle is perfectly fine as long as you can check the water params regularly and make the necessary water changes. No need to worry :)
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #4 
BubbiBubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by battered View Post
Just have patience, the cycle should take care of itself if you let it run its course. 3-4 weeks is about right on the cycle time.

Do you already have the betta - if so, how are you housing it? How are you planning to take care of the betta during your vacation? How long is your vacation?

If your fish is a tail biter, I don't think adding a ghost and amano shrimp are going to help him in my experience at least.

If your cycle finishes in time, yes, you can add the betta to the tank. By then, the cycle will be "over" and you'll have the BB you need.
battered, Thank you so much for replying! I don't how you guys find these posts so quickly!

As for your question, I am currently housing my betta in a 1.5 gallon pet keeper from Petco... a little ashamed, I know, but that's why I bought him a new home! I do 100% water changes every week & he has a small little offshoot java fern inside there that he likes to rest on! There's small rocks & marbles decorating the little tank bottom, & he has a plastic black tube in there that he ADORES & sleeps & hides in practically all day.

I am actually going to Hawaii in 2 weeks, for 1 week! So I obviously cannot take him with me. (I really wish I could!) I don't know anyone who will be in town & willing to take care of him, but his tank is cleaned every week so I'll just wash it before I leave, & he'll be good as new! As soon as cleaning time comes around again I'll be home for him.

I'm hoping to purchase an Eheim Auto Fish Feeder since my very recent purchase fell in Bubba's water less than a day after "installing" it & well... that is a WHOLE 'NOTHER thread. Goodness! Just $20 or so flushed down the fish toilet. Bubba was saved, though, thank goodness.

I am so sorry for my long posts! I just seem to talk & type too much...

BTW, what's a "BB"...?

xoxo
Old 07-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #5 
BubbiBubba

Thank you, also, finnfinnfriend for replying! I am so happy! :) So, while I'm gone for a week, one betta fish & two shrimp would be enough to take care of the beneficial bacteria?

If, let's say, that I don't add the fish before I leave, will the beneficial bacteria (whom have not showed up yet) die off, or will my tank stop cycling???

Another thing... since I can't really tag you guys in my posts besides "quoting" them, how else do you know I have replied it you?

Ahh, these forums confuse me! (^_^)
Old 07-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #6 
AquaKai

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbiBubba View Post

BTW, what's a "BB"...?

xoxo
Beneficial Bacteria.
Your cycle is going well, and like the others said, just be patient:).
AquaKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #7 
AquaKai

Since there's already ammonia in the tank I'd just leave it in there. Jack up the ammonia amount to around the 4.0ppm as you have it now. That should last a still cycling tank a week to go through. However if you do water changes and get the ammonia out of there and put the shrimp and betta in the tank, with PWCs up to your vacation it should be fine. The betta and shrimp will not die with just one week of no PWCs. I hope this helps!
Old 07-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #8 
BubbiBubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaKai View Post
Beneficial Bacteria.
Your cycle is going well, and like the others said, just be patient:).
Oh my gosh, thank you! I can't stop thanking people!

What should I do if the tank is not cycled by the time I leave? Should I just leave the 5gal tank untouched & keep Bubba in his small 1.5 gallon with an automatic fish feeder?

Like I said, his tank gets changed weekly anyway so he won't be harmed... but I'm scared that the process won't be ready!

Can I risk putting him in early??
Old 07-08-2012, 10:44 PM   #9 
BubbiBubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaKai View Post
Since there's already ammonia in the tank I'd just leave it in there. Jack up the ammonia amount to around the 4.0ppm as you have it now. That should last a still cycling tank a week to go through. However if you do water changes and get the ammonia out of there and put the shrimp and betta in the tank, with PWCs up to your vacation it should be fine. The betta and shrimp will not die with just one week of no PWCs. I hope this helps!
Amazing! You reply fast! I am such a noob... what's "PWC"??? Post Weekly Changes?
Old 07-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #10 
AquaKai

Sorry! Partial Water Changes. When you have a tank with a cycled filter you don't have to do 100% changes all the time. Since all of my tanks are cycled I do a weekly 25-30% change on all of them. It gets rid of the nitrates that build up. And thanks! I try to stay as fast as I can, which is hard typing on a touch screen:P

Tags
5 gallon, betta fish, fishless cycle, help wanted, shrimp