Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #11 
KadenJames

Quote:
I don't know much about the breeding of betta's and their mating rituals, so I picked up this fact sheet that was at City Farmers (chain pet store) and read the breeding information section on the paper. I quote 'Put the female in with the male, and if all goes well (after making a bubblenest) they will breed!Males wrap themselves around the female and squeeze the eggs out, and then they catch them in their mouth and blow them into the nest where they sit for a few days until hatching. Now, is this what happens for mating? It's just that it all seems really weird.

Egh, that really irritates me. The breeding process simply cannot be shrunken down into a two sentence explanation. Is that how it works? ... Sort of. They make it seem so simple and easy, and that couldn't be farther from the truth. That's like trying to explain how to paint a masterpiece- "Pick up a brush, dip it in paint and voila!" It's just not that simple. xD
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #12 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadenJames View Post
Egh, that really irritates me. The breeding process simply cannot be shrunken down into a two sentence explanation. Is that how it works? ... Sort of. They make it seem so simple and easy, and that couldn't be farther from the truth. That's like trying to explain how to paint a masterpiece- "Pick up a brush, dip it in paint and voila!" It's just not that simple. xD

Nicely put xD I have my fighter I still want to breed and I found a PK female, who is a real meaner... But I'm not going to "plop in fish, wait a day and voila!!! they multiplied." Sounds like one of those dollar store eggs "put in luke warm water, 24 hours it should hatch"
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #13 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Nicely put xD I have my fighter I still want to breed and I found a PK female, who is a real meaner... But I'm not going to "plop in fish, wait a day and voila!!! they multiplied." Sounds like one of those dollar store eggs "put in luke warm water, 24 hours it should hatch"

Hmmmm..... Worked for me!

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #14 
Sena Hansler

My fighter already killed a female lol I can't do that.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:43 AM   #15 
magnum

Pet stores then should clarify there facts before attempting to explain how complicated the breeding process is. I wonder how many females have died because pet stores simply tell there customers that you simply 'put the female and male Betta in together!
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #16 
Sena Hansler

Or, people thinking their male "needs a girlfriend". I knew someone like that. Hers lived in a 5 gallon together, for a year, then both died "the other from heartbreak"

I will admit though it bugged me when a store associate asked if I had FIVE tanks for my FIVE females, at least she was leaning towards an actual idealistic understanding of bettas. (Plus I had 5 quarantines, and some divided tanks if need be lol)
Old 07-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #17 
KadenJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Or, people thinking their male "needs a girlfriend". I knew someone like that. Hers lived in a 5 gallon together, for a year, then both died "the other from heartbreak"

I will admit though it bugged me when a store associate asked if I had FIVE tanks for my FIVE females, at least she was leaning towards an actual idealistic understanding of bettas. (Plus I had 5 quarantines, and some divided tanks if need be lol)

Doesn't it just irk the living daylights out of you when associates try to make you sound like you know nothing, and they are the betta-knowledge gods? -_-
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #18 
Sena Hansler

Yes xDD