Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #1 
kera236

Lookin' for a good fish.

I've been told that there are many fish in the sea ;) But I'm lookin for the perfect one!

I'm looking for a fish that'll stay mostly at the middle of the tank. My females occupy the top, and my cories the bottom.

I have a heavily planted natural tank. 29 G's

I was looking into GloFish, but mmeeehhhhh they're pretty cool but I don't want them to be unhappy.
kera236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:49 PM   #2 
Goldibug

Danios would be fine in a 29 gallon. They'd have plenty of room to swim. The biggest issue is finding fish that won't nip at your bettas. I've heard rasboras work well too. Some of the smaller tetras may work but many tetras are nippers. Rosy barbs are another possibility because they are the most docile of the barbs. Look into the typical behaviors of all the mid swimmers and find the ones that that match your bettas needs the best. Check out http://aqadvisor.com for stalking suggestions :)
Goldibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #3 
MaisyDawgThirteen

How many females and cories do you have? What is the hardness and PH of our water? That will help determine what kind of fish would do well in your tank. =)
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #4 
ColleenT

i like rasbora hets. they school but swim mostly in the middle. i have also had schools of glow light tetras. very similar. they are small so you can get a handful.
ColleenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:36 AM   #5 
mattoboy

Rasbora Tetras, White Cloud Mountain Minnows, Black Skirt Tetras?
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #6 
Goldibug

White clouds wouldn't be a very good choice because they are more of a coldwater fish. You would have to have the white clouds in the warmest safe temp. for them and your betta in coldest safe temp. for him. Although it could work neither fish would be very comfortable living in extreme temperatures for their species.
Goldibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #7 
mattoboy

I keep my White Clouds in a 78F heated 10 gallon. There doing really good. They all have there gold-ish colour and stuff and eat like pigs. White Clouds are very hardy and you can adapt them to warmer waters like I did. There doing great.
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #8 
thekoimaiden

WCMM do come from temperate waters meaning that throughout the year, they experience a wide variety of temperatures. Just like goldfish, they can be kept at a wide variety of temperatures. There is a lot of debate about the proper temp; let's leave that for another thread. Even then, they are active swimmers and would most likely upset the females. You keep sedate fish with sedate fish and active fish with active fish.

Black widow tetra are a terrible choice. They are renowned fin-nippers and shouldn't be kept with other species in tanks smaller than 40 gallons and when in groups of less than 10. They would tear your females apart. There are much better tetra choices.

The fish you are describing sounds more like a tetra. Rasboras typically swim in the top third of the tank; tetra are partial to the bottom third. Once we know your current stocking levels including percentage of weekly water changes we can better suggest possibilities.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #9 
djembekah

my zebra danios do great with my bettas. and it makes for a pretty tank :)
mine is a 29 as well
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote