Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #1 
TheCrabbyTabby

How to prepare established tank for new betta?

My 10 gallon is cycled and all that. However, the previous tenant, Gabe, was sick and dieing. I moved him to a smaller 3 gallon hospital tank (where he soon passed) and now the 10 gallon is looking far too empty and begging to be occupied again.

The MTS living in there don't really count.

The big question is, should I do something if anything to the 10 gallon? I had sand in there as substrate but I don't really think its working to keep the plants anchored.

Yeah, the tank is planted. It has Java Moss and Java Fern in it. Should I get some aquarium gravel instead? I am looking to make the tank as natural looking as possible. I should also get a background for it while I am at the store.

So, that makes my shopping list thus:

Baby Betta (Yeah, I am going to attempt to raise one of them)
New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula
Breeding Box/Net/Trap thing
10 Gallon Background

Aquarium gravel is up for questioning. Do I really want to tear down the tank and attempt to fish out all that sand? Its silica/play sand. How would I go about removing it anyways?

Man, I have a lot of thinking to do.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #2 
Goldibug

If you like the sand then I would put the plants in pots. You could bury the pots in the sand and have the plants planted in plant specific substrate ;) It would also make them easier to rearrange and prune when needed.
Goldibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #3 
vilmarisv

What made your previos betta sick?

Java moss & Java fern are surface plants. They don't have good enough root system to be inchored in the sand. Try to tie them up to rocks or decoration using plastic thread. My rooted plants do very well in my Petco coarse sand.

If you're getting a background, it will only be good for the baby betta you're considering. He/She will grow up used to sharing his/her tank with his reflection.

If your fish died of a disease I would completely start the tank over. You can save a handful of the sand to help your new cycle but I would do this with extreme caution.

You don't have to remove the sand, just rinse the heck out of it.

Why do you need the breeding box/net/trap thing?
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #4 
TheCrabbyTabby

You mean, buy tiny little plant pots? Do they sell those at Petco?
Old 07-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #5 
TheCrabbyTabby

Oh and my old betta was old. He also had a very mild case of fin rot.

I need the breeder box to keep the little baby betta from getting lost in the 10 gallon tank.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #6 
Goldibug

I'm really not sure if petco carries them or not. You could give them a call. You might also find some small terra cotta (sp?) ones at walmart.
Goldibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #7 
Meggie6347

I don't think you should ever really completely restart the tank (as in having to cycle all over again...unless it's a bowl...). But with a tank, for future reference, if there is ever a disease or parasite, you can just let it run empty for a few weeks (because most if not all parasites will die in a short amount of time without a source...as in a fish to feed off of)...you can treat it as well if you want, but I would hate for you to have to recycle it all ove again! If you want to rinse the sand really well, just make sure you SAVE THE BACTERA IN THE FILTER...if you want to clean out the tank because its dirty or something...I've done it before...just keep the filter media completely submersed in old tank water to keep the bacteria alive so you dont have to recycle the tank!

As for the java moss, you can either flat it or tie it to wood or rock...java fern does best tied to rock or wood IME...

As for the sand, don't change it if you like the look! It is my personal favorite substrate! I have it in all of my tanks:)

Hope this helps!
Meg
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote