Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Memorials
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #1 
freeflow246

RIP Jalen

He was always wedging himself down into any little crevice he could find in his tank. Once or twice I had to move some pebbles or decor or something because he was stuck. I was always worried that he would end up getting stuck for good so I tried to keep an eye on him.

But I had moved him because I was painting my room and I was fasting him that day and there were people over so I didn't check on him at all. I wish I had, but it might not have helped anyway.

He did end up getting stuck and drowning, sometime early yesterday I think. He was so far down under his river rocks and pebbles that I didn't see him until I started moving his cave around to find him and he floated up.

I wouldn't say I feel guilty, as I don't think I could have done much to curb his taste for exploration of every square inch of his tank, but I do feel a bit bitter. He's lived through so much: such severe SBD and depression that I went out and bought a bottle of clove oil, fin rot, untreated tap water, flipping out of his net and into the sink several times, and fin rot. Despite the fact that he was a sickly and accident prone thing, he made it through a lot. And to go in such a random accident.... it just sucks.

So here's to you, Jalen. You went from being a sweet and shy little pale thing to a grumpy and nippy and skittish curmudgeon, and I will admit that more than once I looked at my friendly little Sushi and wondered where I went wrong. Catching you was what turned my water changes into 45 minute ordeals, and you could bite nearly as hard as my mice could.

But now that you're gone I miss you. A lot. And I wasn't sad when I started writing this but now I am. It was a good year that we had together, and you taught me a lot about loving something even when it is an ungrateful little bugger than bites your fingers and gets sick every chance it gets. You were my first real rescue; I bought you because I knew no one else would and you would die on that shelf. And because of you, I won't stop rescuing.

Rest in peace, my first little baby.
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #2 
littlegreen

At least he died doing what he loved, right? : )
littlegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #3 
staffylover

So sorry to hear your news, RIP Jalen
staffylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #4 
lelei

Wow..I need tissues right now..that is incredible that lil fishy did go thru a lot..but in the end.. you know he lived a good long life, and being a rescue..that is what he lived for--that thrill..he was your lil thrill seeker..RIP Jalen~ Sorry for your loss
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #5 
freeflow246

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegreen View Post
At least he died doing what he loved, right? : )
True! I'm glad he died probably relatively quickly and didn't suffer for days like he would have if he was sick.
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:08 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry about Jalen. We can't keep an eye on them 24 hours a day and they're going to do what they want and unfortunately he lost his life.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote