Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #11 
Enkil

Nipped fins is perfectly normal. They heal. I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep an eye on them (try not to disturb them though). I got lucky and my pair both came out of spawning completely uninjured.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #12 
rachelled

Alright, thank you :) He is starting to look fairly shredded, but the overall feeling of the tank is not violent...

He won't make a bubblenest though. Does that take a couple days sometimes?
rachelled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #13 
Enkil

Some males don't build a nest. Some don't until eggs are present. Others build the nest right away.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #14 
BeckyFish97

Firstly good luck with your spawn!
Second: Most spawn partners (male and female) will both nip and get nipped, this is just natural, some (cough cough gandalf) are as violent as they could be and almost kill the female (mentioning no names) some are very gentle and suffer more damage from the female than she does!A picture if possible would help us to help you decide if the male has had enough, if he is still energetic and chasing then leave him, but if he seems particularly lethargic then I would take him out and try a different pair :) some males don't build a bubblenest until the female has been released or until they have the eggs in their mouth, yours may be one of them! Good Luck :)
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #15 
rachelled

New update: No luck with the HM :( He was getting really shredded by Missy, so I took her out.

In the meantime, my veiltail made a HUGE bubble nest! I introduced Missy overnight and they seem to be getting along much better.

I'm crossing my fingers!
Old 07-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #16 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelled View Post
I think so yes! It's my first time though so I'm worried about every little thing.
Don't worry them to death!!! Just let them do what they are suppose to do. Nature will have it's way!! They may be a little battered in the end, but the results are what are worth it!!

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #17 
rachelled

The female was laying on her side and not moving a terrible amount, so I took her out :( She's been out about an hour and she's moving a bit more now, but still floating on her side whenever she's not swimming.

Is this normal? Or should she perhaps be medicated a while before I try again?
Old 07-09-2012, 01:30 AM   #18 
indjo
TFK Moderator

No that's not normal. Medicate her before trying again. Try again when she is swimming normally, active, etc.... her fins doesn't have to be 100% grown. As long as ALL wounds have totally cured, you can breed her.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #19 
rachelled

Okay good, thank you. I must have found her in good time because she's acting normal today. I'm keeping a close eye on her, she seems to want to get to the male still (divided tank) but she will just wave to wait.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:20 PM   #20 
jeffegg2

Cool

Here is my spawn #2, and it worked pretty well. The female is in the gallon jug and they can see each other. I left her in there for about 2 days, and then put her in with the male.

You can see a couple of blood worms next to the male, he was so busy trying to get at the female that he would not eat them...

and he loves blood worms!!

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote