Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #1 
Big Blue

Big Blue

This is my first Betta. He's very young and oh so beautiful. I stumbled into Blue by chance. My daughter got a new puppy for her home and she needed a crate. At the same time a friend of mine had just purchased a Betta, but unfortunately he died within days. I was wondering the local pet store
while my daughter chose supplies for Penelope(the new puppy) and discovered the Betta fish. I purchased a VT for my friend, who is tickled with her new man (Bruce). I fell for Bruce too, so the next day I returned to the pet store and purchased Big Blue. I just love him.
Big Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #2 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Hello, and welcome to the forum! Thats a beautiful betta you got there. A question: Is that BIG BLUE'S permanent home? If so, bettas do BEST in 2.5-5 gallon filtered AND heated tanks with frequent water changes. Heaters with bettas are a necessity, as they need a constant temperature of 80 degrees year-round. Heated water helps bettas stay healthy, active, and live longer.

Congrats!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #3 
betta lover1507

1 gallon or up, but including filter IMO (in my opinion) :P beatiful fish though ;P
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #4 
lelei

Hello and Welcome to the forum, He is beautiful VT and I have one just like him, that I rescued from a vase, and now he lives in a 3 gallon, heated, and his colors are amazing, he is getting some red in his ventral fins, the ones that hang low in the front, and I love watching him swim all over the place,

Also I noticed that he is in a vase, it looks like, and that is not an appropriate home, he really needs more swim room, and just keep in mind, a smaller amount of water will get dirtier quicker, and water changes have to be done daily, it would be better to upgrade to a tank, with a heater, as already suggested, as he will have more swim room, and be comfy, cozy with some plants, and if you will, (A heated Pool)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #5 
Big Blue

Big Blue

Thanks. I've been reading as much as I can on the care of Bettas, so needless to say I have to go shopping for a bigger home.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #6 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
Thanks. I've been reading as much as I can on the care of Bettas, so needless to say I have to go shopping for a bigger home.
I appreciate someone who has been doing their research :)
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #7 
lelei

Please don't forget the heater, and a Water conditioner, What kind of food are you feeding him? also a couple of Silk or nice plastic plants to make him feel secure, for hiding, and playing, they love that:) Take a look at some of the pix on the forum for tanks and decor suggestions, or just ask, if you are unsure:)
Old 07-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #8 
Big Blue

Thanks again for all of your help. I really don't want to bring any harm to Big Blue and am a bit nervous about setting up his new home. I'll post pictures as soon as I have him settled. I've enjoyed this forum so much that down the road I'd like to have a sorority tank too. :)
Old 07-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #9 
betta lover1507

Sororities are fun to have, but sometimes gets violent o-o" i haven't had one since Lady amaya passed away
---
anyways, please post pics soon :)
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #10 
lelei

You will be getting bit by that "Betta Bug"..lol..one is never enough:)