Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #1 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Talking Everybody, meet Mr. Puffles!!!! Questions! (Moss Ball :) )

Hey everybody,

went to Petco an hour ago and bought my first live plant, a MARIMO MOSS BALL named Mr. Puffles!

I have a couple of questions:

1) can it transfer disease to my betta
2) How much light does it require? I only use natural sunlight from a nearby window...
3) Does it actually benefit an aquarium? (i bought it mostly for looks)
4) Every water change, can i swish it in old aquarium water and squeeze it out?
5) Am i supposed to acclimate it? How?

Mr. Puffles/Fluffina seems to have picked up quite a lot fish waste and uneaten food. Before i add him, should i just do a partial water change, then wring the moss ball out in the dirty water and plop it in the tank?

NOTE: THE MOSS BALL WAS IN A TANK WITH OTHER FISH, ALL LOOKED HEALTHY< BUT I COULDN'T SEE IF ANY FISH HAD DIED IN THAT TANK> I COULDN'T GET THE NERITE SNAIL :( BECAUSE THEY DIDNT HAVE THEM IN STOCK> I WILL SPECIAL ORDER ONE FROM PETCO THOUGH>

Thanks for all the answers, speedy answers are helpful!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #2 
MyRainbowBettaFish

I will post a pic soon :)
Old 07-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #3 
MyRainbowBettaFish

:)
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

1. You are supposed to quarantine it for at least a week in tap water. You have to wait, sorry. >.< But it's for your Betta's health! After QT, it's OK! It moves! Well, that's what I've heard.
2.It requires low to high light.
3. It's a live plant, so it helps with the Nitrite, Nitrate, and other things! :)
4. You could clean it with aquarium water. Gently squeeze. ;3
5. I don't think plants need to be acclimated...
Enjoy your Moss Ball! :D
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #5 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I would soak in and plain tap water for a week and change the water everyday and squeeze it out. Thats what I did with mine I got from ebay and it did have alot of dirt in it for about 3 days the water would get dirty. I added mine to the tank after a week and thats been a few days ago and I only have and over head ceiling light and a little sunlight and so far its staying nice and green. Its been just to hot here to turn on the hood light and Perseus doesnt really like a bright light so I got a Aqua Glo pink light and I love it and he doesnt mine when I turn it on. Good luck with your Moss Ball and love the name, I havent named mine yet.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #6 
megaredize

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
1. You are supposed to quarantine it for at least a week in tap water. You have to wait, sorry. >.< But it's for your Betta's health! After QT, it's OK! It moves! Well, that's what I've heard.
2.It requires low to high light.
3. It's a live plant, so it helps with the Nitrite, Nitrate, and other things! :)
4. You could clean it with aquarium water. Gently squeeze. ;3
5. I don't think plants need to be acclimated...
Enjoy your Moss Ball! :D
Lebron nailed it thats pretty much all you need to do. only other thing i can think of to add is make sure on occasion it does get rolled around. if it stays in one place for too long the side touching your substrate can start to get brown from lack of light. i always squeeze mine in tank water during water changes.
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #7 
MyRainbowBettaFish

OMG! before i got any of these posts, i already did a water change and put it in old tank water, swished it, and squeezed it for 2 minutes. i am now REALLY worried and i feel like a bad pet owner. honey seems a little scared, and is showing faint stress stripes! i feel HORRIBLE!!!!
Old 07-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #8 
MyRainbowBettaFish

i also don't have a quarantine tank. i didn't want to keep it in the bag for too long....i am sooo stupid and feel HORRIBLE O.O
Old 07-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #9 
registereduser

If it makes you feel any better, I got one at PetSmart and one at PetCo and threw them both in the tank as soon as I got them home. Everyone is just fine

I had to order my nerites from PetCo too. I bought 3 and one died right away so keep your receipt in case you need to replace one or 2.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #10 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
If it makes you feel any better, I got one at PetSmart and one at PetCo and threw them both in the tank as soon as I got them home. Everyone is just fine

I had to order my nerites from PetCo too. I bought 3 and one died right away so keep your receipt in case you need to replace one or 2.
THANKS SO MUCH! i had like a mini heart attack...

Tags
benefits, marimo, moss ball