Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #41 
MyRainbowBettaFish

AWWW! Thats SO nice for you to adopt from your local puppy mill/shelter! I think wellness and blue buffalo...
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:53 PM   #42 
Aahnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Ive never heard of it. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought fish based foods aren't as good due to high levels of salt & mercury? :/ I mean I'm sure it's much better than corn and wheat xD
Very true, and the pet food industry gets the bottom of boat, so to speak, when it comes to seafood.

I while back a canadian based company purchased a load of unfit for human consumption canned tuna, and sold it as cat food. It was a big sad story of pet loss.

It can be hard today to stay safe with pet foods. Even if you buy us made, etc etc, you can still end up with bad food because of handling, or storage, or even the original ingredients are bad, because of where they were purchased from.

Some brands you used to rely on have been purchased by companies, i would never buy from. But you dont know that unless you research the brands(iams isnt really iams now). I doubt many people do that.

I think the only safe way is to go completely organic, but its soooo expensive.

Also, many large dogs dont mature until they are close to 3, and will still require the puppy/calcium foods. Depending on their size.

Last edited by Aahnay; 07-10-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Aahnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #43 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aahnay View Post
Well, IMHO, thats not true at all. You can buy hills in vet, and its actually a poor quality of food for cats, especially the urinary ones. They are so full of grains/fillers and cats dont eat vegies.

You can most certainly buy quality, even the best in your store or online for convenience. For dogs there are so many types, and it depends on the age of the animal what/which you choose. Also the size of the dog.

Some large dogs grow so quickly, you need to get foods with extra calcium, or add it at each feeding.

Read the ingredients, just like you would when choosing your own foods . Dogs love grains and vegies, they just need to be in the correct percentage. You can make your own dog/cat foods too, which is a lot of fun, for a while.

I did that for years. I had a dobie, a grey, and a chihuahua. I made it once a week, purchased the vit powder online. Its when i was a true vegan, and I turned all dogs/cats to vegans with me. Lol. The cats loved their food, although its very difficult to find non-meat sources for their vits.

Good-luck on your new pup!
+1 but wait.. How can a cat go vegan? I thought they NEEDED meat to like survive...
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #44 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRainbowBettaFish View Post
AWWW! Thats SO nice for you to adopt from your local puppy mill/shelter! I think wellness and blue buffalo...
Puppy mill??!

Puppy mills are places that over breed unhealthy dogs and put sickly designer breeds in lousy local pet stores.

Shelters/rescues usually care about animals.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #45 
Laki

I second the vegan cat thing. PLEASE tell me the cat eats meat now. The dog too actually but cats are obligate carnivores. They NEED meat.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:38 PM   #46 
Aahnay

HAHAHAHA. Actually, they don't 'need' meat, they need the high grade protein and then some core vitamins. Hmm, cant remember them now, and those vitamins are mostly found in meat. There is one vegan form that, if iirc, comes from shrooms.

Cats should never have dry, females can eat it safely, but males no. And most canned is so poorly made, well, no. The best canned is too expensive for me to feed to 5 cats. I tried the homemade raw, and only two like that, lol. I feed them canned and mix it up a lot, with human tuna, and chicken thigh/raw hearts & liver and I toss in some squash for hairballs! =)

Those cats loved the vegan food better than mouse, or canned foods. I really thought it would take me forever to swap them over, and keep them healthy. Noooo, one bite of the new food and that was it.

The dogs were harder to swap over. They looked at it, tasted it, and snubbed it, lol.

The one cat died at 18, and the other was 21 when she passed. My sweet babies.

They say vegan for cat is better than any purchased canned, i dont know. I just did it because i was vegan then. But making all the dogs food and hanging it all over the house to dry, then baking it.. ack what a pain.

I stopped making it that way and made waffles with it. Much easier, but then more teeth cleanings are needed.

The place i purchased my vitamins at used to be called harbinjersofanewage. Oh i just searced it, its vegepet now. Nice to see its still there.

Last edited by Aahnay; 07-10-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #47 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
HAHAHAHA. Actually, they don't 'need' meat, they need the high grade protein and then some core vitamins. Hmm, cant remember them now, and those vitamins are mostly found in meat. There is one vegan form that, if iirc, comes from shrooms.

Those cats loved the vegan food better than mouse, or canned foods. I really thought it would take me forever to swap them over, and keep them healthy. Noooo, one bite of the new food and that was it.

The dogs were harder to swap over. They looked at it, tasted it, and snubbed it, lol.

The one cat died at 18, and the other was 21 when she passed. My sweet babies.

They say vegan for cat is better than any purchased canned, i dont know. I just did it because i was vegan then. But making all the dogs food and hanging it all over the house to dry, then baking it.. ack what a pain.

I stopped making it that way and made waffles with it. Much easier, but then more teeth cleanings are needed.

The place i purchased my vitamins at used to be called harbinjersofanewage. Oh i just searced it, its vegepet now. Nice to see its still there.
Oh! :) That I interesting
Old 07-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #48 
TheCrabbyTabby

Quote:
Well, IMHO, thats not true at all. You can buy hills in vet, and its actually a poor quality of food for cats, especially the urinary ones. They are so full of grains/fillers and cats dont eat vegies.

You can most certainly buy quality, even the best in your store or online for convenience. For dogs there are so many types, and it depends on the age of the animal what/which you choose. Also the size of the dog.

Some large dogs grow so quickly, you need to get foods with extra calcium, or add it at each feeding.

Read the ingredients, just like you would when choosing your own foods . Dogs love grains and vegies, they just need to be in the correct percentage. You can make your own dog/cat foods too, which is a lot of fun, for a while.

I did that for years. I had a dobie, a grey, and a chihuahua. I made it once a week, purchased the vit powder online. Its when i was a true vegan, and I turned all dogs/cats to vegans with me. Lol. The cats loved their food, although its very difficult to find non-meat sources for their vits.

Good-luck on your new pup!
Never try to force a carnivore into a "vegan" diet. Its just not healthy for them. Cats need meat in their diet for the lipids and essential fatty acids not found anywhere else. Same with dogs. To try to make them eat "vegan" is just plain stupid. You wouldn't force a lion or a wolf to eat an exclusive diet of vegetables, would you? Have some common sense.

Just because you believe in something doesn't make it right to force those beliefs on an unwilling animal.

Last edited by TheCrabbyTabby; 07-10-2012 at 08:55 PM.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #49 
Aahnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrabbyTabby View Post
Never try to force a carnivore into a "vegan" diet. Its just not healthy for them. Cats need meat in their diet for the lipids and essential fatty acids not found anywhere else. Same with dogs. To try to make them eat "vegan" is just plain stupid. You wouldn't force a lion or a wolf to eat an exclusive diet of vegetables, would you? Have some common sense.
hahaha, nope they are found in many, many places, you need to do your own research.

Stupid? yeah you need to do your research. Ill let it go at that. Have you ever looked at a dogs teeth? Have you ever watched what the wild dogs of africa eat? hmmmm.

Common sense? oh my goodness, thats a direct insult to me. LOL. But, Ill let it pass by, and only say again, you really need to get out of the box and do your own research regarding what dogs and cats eat in the wild. Good luck with that. =)

Last edited by Aahnay; 07-10-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #50 
teeneythebetta

Oye... I sense a little confrontation coming on..

Lets just leave it at that. No more.