Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #11 
registereduser

I was at PetCo today after reading this thread and I did notice that all the reds had a shiny blueish iridescence .
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #12 
Shirleythebetta

My mother-in-law owns a solid red. She bought him at Wal-Mart. He is weird though. He had a split, actually still has a split, about a third up his caudal fin and it was not an injury but a deformity. He is about 2 years old :D
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #13 
finnfinnfriend

Yeah I don't usually like what my petco has. I was actually at petsmart today and I saw a solid red that had nothing but red on his body, but he had a few tiny shiny spots in between some of the rays on his caudal fin. That's okay though, I couldn't stop staring at him. It made me happy :)
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #14 
Shirleythebetta

Oh yea he does have a slight irid, just on his chin though. He has a teeny bit of gold on his chin but his body is solid red.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #15 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post
My mother-in-law owns a solid red. She bought him at Wal-Mart. He is weird though. He had a split, actually still has a split, about a third up his caudal fin and it was not an injury but a deformity. He is about 2 years old :D
That's awesome that he's two! :) does he have any shiny scales? Or is he ALL red?

EDIT: lol you answered that :)

Last edited by finnfinnfriend; 07-10-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #16 
Shirleythebetta

just a little gold on his chin. I just remembered that. He is a pretty little thing. Glad she bought him though since he is deformed. He prob would have died there since fish have to be perfect for most people. He's a cool little guy. Shouldn't say little. He is about 2 inches long (body). I'm proud of my mother in law though. He is in a three gallon heated tank. Not bad for a lady who doesn't no anything about fish.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #17 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post
just a little gold on his chin. I just remembered that. He is a pretty little thing. Glad she bought him though since he is deformed. He prob would have died there since fish have to be perfect for most people. He's a cool little guy. Shouldn't say little. He is about 2 inches long (body). I'm proud of my mother in law though. He is in a three gallon heated tank. Not bad for a lady who doesn't no anything about fish.
That is awesome that she took him in! What is the deformity?
Old 07-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #18 
Shirleythebetta

That weirdo split tail is an imperfection most people would have culled him for. It's like he is a double tail that just didn't split far enough. It's small split. Like the double tail gene just wasn't strong enough or something. I may take some pics of him. I am upgrading her tank to a 5 gallon because he doesn't have a filter and he gets lots of algae. I am gonna get her some shrimp and a snail to help with that. Anyways, when I upgrade him I may take some pics and put them in my album this week.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:40 PM   #19 
finnfinnfriend

That would be cool, I would like to see him :)
Old 07-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #20 
Shirleythebetta

Yea this guy is sweet. I am thinking about stealing him and I do have her house key. lol. I hope this 5 gallon and a snail buddy will take care of his algae issues. Her house gets so much sun.