Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2012, 01:17 AM   #1 
LugiaChan

Loss of scales on head! Not ready to lose ANOTHER fish because of it. Burned/illness?

Weird things seen in the tank: I have a little bit of green-like algae growth, I dont know what it is.
Plants: Philippine fern. IS THIS A PROBLEM? :(

Housing
What size is your tank? 20gal
What temperature is your tank? I had it set on low temp. because I lost a fish due to high temperature. I'm investing into a digital thermometer as soon as I can.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No not yet.
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Golden snail.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS pellets, other pellets for betta, dried bloodworm and flakes. Combination of all these.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day generally 6 or so pellets and when I feed flakes I have quite a bit in there, not too much.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once weekly.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30-50%/
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Declorinator, aquarium salt, indian almond leaf and indian almond oil.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Going to tomorrow asap. This thread will be updated when i do.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? No
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No. XD
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Last half hour.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No idea what it is.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not this one.
How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea sorry.

My last fish which had this happen to it died suddenly a quick death just a few days later. The same symptoms started showing: just fine, happy, lively. Nothing appearing wrong and eats anything I put in front of him. Then instantly, this appears on its head! Nothing seems wrong with my fish, only the marking/loss of scales where its shown. I am NOT emotionally ready to lose another friend again! >:(

Last edited by LugiaChan; 07-11-2012 at 01:20 AM.
LugiaChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:35 AM   #2 
Pataflafla

Don't bother with the aquarium salt unless you're actually treating an external illness. Long term use with bettas tends to cause more issues than good and makes treating an actual infection or problem with it harder when the time comes.

I'm unsure if the plant is an issue, but I wouldn't worry about the algae too much. It's usually present when there are plenty of nutrients in the water, so maybe cut down to little or no flakes since it's hard to judge when enough is enough with them. Feed twice a day or more so that all the food is being eaten instead of left to dissolve or sink as well.

For treatment, isolate your betta into a hospital tank or container. something smaller that is easy to do 100% changes on. the best way to treat any illness is clean water, so isolating and daily, or every other day, 100% changes will be great help. I'm unsure of what is affecting your betta, but he might have hurt himself ona decoration or perhaps might be scratching from irritation. watch him closely to see if you can determine.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:44 AM   #3 
Aahnay

Do you have any pets that could have done this? or humans? Bobbing for Betta? Anything that is sharp in the tank?

good-luck.
Aahnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:50 AM   #4 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
Don't bother with the aquarium salt unless you're actually treating an external illness. Long term use with bettas tends to cause more issues than good and makes treating an actual infection or problem with it harder when the time comes.

I'm unsure if the plant is an issue, but I wouldn't worry about the algae too much. It's usually present when there are plenty of nutrients in the water, so maybe cut down to little or no flakes since it's hard to judge when enough is enough with them. Feed twice a day or more so that all the food is being eaten instead of left to dissolve or sink as well.

For treatment, isolate your betta into a hospital tank or container. something smaller that is easy to do 100% changes on. the best way to treat any illness is clean water, so isolating and daily, or every other day, 100% changes will be great help. I'm unsure of what is affecting your betta, but he might have hurt himself ona decoration or perhaps might be scratching from irritation. watch him closely to see if you can determine.
Omg, I put him in a vase without ANYTHING in it, just smooth glass thats impossible to hurt him and he now has a scratch-like sore and another small sore starting and it happened within just a few minutes ._.;
The previous sore is looking better, but I have no idea whats happening.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:52 AM   #5 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aahnay View Post
Do you have any pets that could have done this? or humans? Bobbing for Betta? Anything that is sharp in the tank?

good-luck.
Nothing except for decorations, which are possible but I pretty much put brand new water and just decloranator into a vase for him and its looking better, but even when there's nothing that could have hurt him, now he's developed a scratch-like sore and another tiny sore on his head. I'm clueless....
Old 07-11-2012, 02:27 AM   #6 
Aahnay

They may have been there before, but were new, and not noticeable for a bit of time? Check the decorations. Rub your fingers over all, or better a nylon. If it snags, fix it, sand it, etc.

Check anything he can fit his head in too. Some plants can catch them too, but i dont know which.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:46 AM   #7 
LugiaChan

Quote:
They may have been there before, but were new, and not noticeable for a bit of time? Check the decorations. Rub your fingers over all, or better a nylon. If it snags, fix it, sand it, etc.

Check anything he can fit his head in too. Some plants can catch them too, but i dont know which.
OK I removed the clear plastic colored stones which look pretty sharp and will check on him tomorrow. Delicate they are :0 I need to be more careful if that was the problem.... i'll update you.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:55 AM   #8 
Aahnay

Hmm, i have some of the plastic oddly shaped stones too. And i remember they have a white spot from being manufactured. I didnt even notice if it was sharp. I dont have any fish, but ill check that tomorrow myself!
Old 07-11-2012, 03:58 AM   #9 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Hmm, i have some of the plastic oddly shaped stones too. And i remember they have a white spot from being manufactured. I didnt even notice if it was sharp. I dont have any fish, but ill check that tomorrow myself!
Yeah when I touched one of the points, it actually hurt my skin. They're no good for betta but they're sold right alongside the tiny betta torture chambers XD LOL!!!! I say no more torture.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #10 
Aahnay

Good to know. Good luck.