Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2012, 07:53 AM   #1 
Odiemybettafish

Lightbulb My Betta is so colorful!

Betta Fish are also called Siamese Fighting Fish. The name Betta is pronounced as the Greek letter beta, and because of this, the name is often misspelled in American English, with one t instead of two. The name is unrelated to the Greek letter and originates from the Thai phrase 'ikan bettah'. In Thailand, betta fish are known as pla-kad. Betta Fish live in freshwater. Betta fish are one of the most popular aquarium fish. This is mainly because of their appearance - certainly not because they are easy to keep in an aquarium. Betta Fish originate from the Mekong basin in Southeast Asia.

Betta fish are known to "puff-out" when aggravated. When this happens their gills and fins puff out to appear more impressive. They do it to either intimidate rival males or to impress females during courtship.
One interesting aspect of Betta fish is their extremely well-developed eyesight. Betta fish will swim to the surface when they see your hand over the tank as you feed them.

Betta fish grow to about 6 cm, and have a life-span, on average, of about four years. Well maintained aquarium Bettas have been known to live longer than six years.

In Asian countries, the Betta fish have been used in fights
not unlike cockfighting known in Mexico. These fighting fish usually have much shorter fins than the Betta fish we are accustomed to in the west. Betta Fish breeders have developed the brilliantly colored and long finned varieties of Bettas we see in pet stores today.

Betta fish create nests made of floating masses of bubbles. They are blown with saliva. These bubble nests are a place for fertilized eggs to hatch in. The nest is guarded by the male until the small Betta fishes hatch. The nests are made from air bubbles which when coated with saliva increase its strength. When the male Betta makes the nest you can hear a louder noise than when it breathes normally. After the Betta fish have spawned, the eggs float up into the nest from below or the male Betta carries them there in its mouth.

The male Betta will guard the nest for the next 24-48 hours until the eggs hatch. He also keeps a close watch on the eggs and will retrieve any eggs or fry that fall from the nest. He will also repair the nest by adding bubbles where needed. After the fry hatch (in 24-48 hours) the male will tend the fish for the next couple of weeks. Hope this helps!
Odiemybettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #2 
Aus

Quote:
The name Betta is pronounced as the Greek letter beta, and because of this, the name is often misspelled in American English, with one t instead of two. The name is unrelated to the Greek letter and originates from the Thai phrase 'ikan bettah'. In Thailand, betta fish are known as pla-kad.
Um. No.

The word betta is pronounced BET-ah. Not Bay-tah. The end.

Plakat is pronounced 'plu-kot.' Though that final 't' may sound like 'd'..dental sounds do tend to cross over like that..

Quote:
Betta Fish originate from the Mekong basin in Southeast Asia.
There's over 50 species of betta and they range from Malaysia to Indonesia to Thailand...

What has this got to do with how colourful your fish is?

Last edited by Aus; 07-11-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #3 
Odiemybettafish

Sorry my friend posted that. I apologize for the wrong information
Odiemybettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #4 
Stonehenge

Don't apologize for anything. Some people have nothing better to do than steamroll others. Aus could have been a bit more tactful in his approach. But seeing that he is a senior member, maybe that title went a bit to his head. And incidentally is the american tongue its pronounced BayTah, after the Greek letter, were talking American English here not Queens English, where it would actually be pronounced Bee-tah, with the 'long e' sound.

So give it a rest dude and try a better approach with new members.

How you got senior member with an attitude like that is beyond me.

Last edited by Stonehenge; 07-11-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Stonehenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #5 
Aus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehenge View Post
Don't apologize for anything. Some people have nothing better to do than steamroll others. Aus could have been a bit more tactful in his approach. But seeing that he is a senior member, maybe that title went a bit to his head. And incidentally is the american tongue its pronounced BayTah, after the Greek letter, were talking American English here not Queens English, where it would actually be pronounced Bee-tah, with the 'long e' sound.

So give it a rest dude and try a better approach with new members.

How you got senior member with an attitude like that is beyond me.

...........What?
Old 07-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #6 
lvandert

Your membership status goes up by how many times you post, it has nothing to do with attitude or how you respond. To be honest I got kinda mad reading this too. It states some things like they are facts but aren't. like the spelling suggestion "one t instead of two". It's not Odiemybettafish's fault it was their friend's so I hold no grudges. Sometimes you have to be blunt with new comers who project the "i know everything right" vibe. I've definitely experienced a few newbies who "do whats best for their fish" and then post about their fish dying.

But that wasn't Odiemybettafish it was a friend trying to cause trouble...
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #7 
lelei

I find the information very interesting, and glad it was posted, If I hadn't known their origin, or how they produce bubble nests, I think all info is helpful:) And some that are new..who are finding their way around, and just so exited about being a new betta mommy, can make mistakes, altho their intentions are good:) Thanks for sharing@Odie~
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #8 
lvandert

You weren't off on much, don't worry
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #9 
Aus

.... jeebers. For the record, I wasn't being rude. And I wasn't mad at anyone. It's pronounced BET-ah. I pointed this out, because that's how it's pronounced.

I donate my free time, what little of it I have, to giving back to these wonderful forums in what way I can.

If I don't express myself quite to your liking, Stonehenge, I guess you could just avoid reading my posts and go play with your baytahs rather than lash out in such an insulting (and misinformed..) manner.

Apologies to the OP. I just thought Stonehenge's response was utterly uncalled-for, and it took me a while to want to respond to it.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #10 
lelei

Apologies to the OP. I just thought Stonehenge's response was utterly uncalled-for, and it took me a while to want to respond to it.[/quote]

@Aus-What is an OP?
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta fish, information