Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #11 
Sena Hansler

Test your tap water. Mine is at .25 before using conditioner. I changed conditioner and there was a 50% improvement =D
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #12 
Blue Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyP View Post
This post will explain everything: Water testing issues

I'm doing everything I can, and my ammonia test is still reading. I even do 100% changes, wash everything in scalding hot water, rinse filter, gravel, EVERYTHING and I still get ammonia readings!
Could washing everything be part of the problem? I think that the good bacteria that helps to eat the ammonia lives on the plants, gravel, and filter, and rinsing with tap water will kill that bacteria because of the chlorine in the tap water.

I know on here there seems to be a disinclination to use the bottled bacteria that you can add to the tanks, but the other part of this site, the Topical Fish Keeping boards have several people who recommend it. I've not done it, so I can't say for sure, but maybe you could try that? I'm only on my first cycled tank, so I have absolutely no good advice other than parroting what I've seen from others with more experience on this board and the TFK boards associated with it. :)

Good luck to you though!
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #13 
Pogthefish

It doesn't work, if you REALLY want to try, get the one with the latest expiration date. I poured in a whole bottle of one and it barely changed the readings.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #14 
LizzyP

Okay, well...I've gone mad. When I tested the plain tap & water w/no conditioner just sitting in the tank w/ plastic rock I thought I was getting readings. When I slammed my fists down on my desk, Boyfriend stepped in to see why I was banging on his furniture. Turns out I'm essentially blind to yellow/light green. It was yellow. 0ppm. However, I think my problem was a dead/dying plant. I pulled many dead leaves off of it this morning, but I think the damage was already done. I sucked everything out, put a new filter cartridge in, rinsed everything in scalding hot water and started from scratch. So far, Dumbledore is perfectly content. Hungry, but content.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #15 
Sena Hansler

Shtuff happens :p
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #16 
sunlight

I am glad Dumbledore is doing good. I do 100% water changes as well and i always check rots. Now you will know :)
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote