Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #1 
BeckyFish97

Question Water changes

A lot of people here say 30 gallon tanks are the best for growout tanks, but I am wondering how on earth you do a 15 gallon water change?
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

For my 40 - 50g I just hose it in from a water storage cubic tub, either full flow or set to low flow, depending on size of fry. I have another smaller water storage drum near the tanks and could also siphon water straight into the big tanks (low flow).
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #3 
Timberland

I have a Pyton that I CAREFULLY suck the water out then I scoop aged water from a bigger heated tank. Once they get older (much older!) I just put the water from the tap straight in, I have a well so I dont have to worry about chlorine or anything and my water is filtered.
Timberland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #4 
KadenJames

LIke Timber, I use a "python," this thing-

Because it is so powerful, I cut off the "foot" part of pantyhose and slip it over the clear tube and secure it with a hair tie or rubberband. The stocking material is so mesh, it reduces the flow by quite a bit and prevents fry from getting sucked up, while still removing crap from the bottom of the tank. When I need to replace water, you can simply reverse the flow of water so that it goes sink-to-tank.
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #5 
Timberland

oohh will have to try that panty hose trick this time! I need to make a note or I will forget. ;)
Timberland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #6 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadenJames View Post
LIke Timber, I use a "python," this thing-

Because it is so powerful, I cut off the "foot" part of pantyhose and slip it over the clear tube and secure it with a hair tie or rubberband. The stocking material is so mesh, it reduces the flow by quite a bit and prevents fry from getting sucked up, while still removing crap from the bottom of the tank. When I need to replace water, you can simply reverse the flow of water so that it goes sink-to-tank.
Same here. I use the Aqueon version of the Python (the unit pictured) with pantyhose over the end.

I can do very large, and frequent changes since it cuts my water change time in half.

For young fry I don't reverse the flow. I simply have about six gallon jugs sitting near my spawn tubs (I keep them at room temperature of the fish room so 85F or so) and then I use the jugs to re-fill the spawn tubs.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #7 
tpocicat

I too use a python for my larger tanks, they are wonderful and save a LOT of time.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #8 
jeffegg2

Cool

I have a rubbermaid trash can that I keep full and heated with a 200W heater. My IAL are in there as well as conditioner. I siphon into a 5 gallon bucket, and then replace using that aged conditioned water.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #9 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffegg2 View Post
I have a rubbermaid trash can that I keep full and heated with a 200W heater. My IAL are in there as well as conditioner. I siphon into a 5 gallon bucket, and then replace using that aged conditioned water.
You could put a pond pump in the trash can and use thick tubing to direct the water into your tanks.

I'll probably end up getting two or three trash cans for my fish room as well.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #10 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
You could put a pond pump in the trash can and use thick tubing to direct the water into your tanks.

I'll probably end up getting two or three trash cans for my fish room as well.
I'm thinking this coming winter I will built my fish room proper and have a drip system with sump and auto water change. I have an area picked out in the basement...
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote