Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #1 
hannguyen
Member
 
hannguyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Edwardsville, IL
Smile Betta water change

Hi Everyone,

My name is Han and my baby is Biscuit. He's beautiful blue Veiltail. I got him for about 2 weeks now and he seems happy even though he slept a lot next to the heater. He never makes bubble nest or flare at the mirror when I try to entertain him. But overall, I still love him bunches.
So, I have a question about changing his water since this is the first time I have a fish. I have him in a 1 gal bowl with a heater (I'm upgrading him to either a 3 gal or 5 gal by the end of this month). I change the water 100% every other day. Is that ok? Or should I change 50% water because I don't want to stress him out since he seems to be a very calm fish. I have API Splendid Betta Water Conditioner, the water temperature is around 75-79.

Thank you so much for your help!
hannguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #2 
Kenny G
Member
 
Kenny G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NYC
Do not do 100% water changes every other day. By doing that your getting rid of good bacteria that betta's need to maintain good health and its stressful on fish. Continue doing water changes but do about 40 % every three days. Once you upgrade your tank make sure you get a good filter then you will only have to change 30% weekly. Maybe one a month do 80% water change and thoroughly clean all decorations you will have in your tank. Continue to use a water conditioner and get a heater to keep the water temps no lower than 76 degrees.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #3 
hannguyen
Member
 
hannguyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Edwardsville, IL
How can I do a 40% water change? I have attempted to do it but I don't know how to clean out the gravel. Can you please help me step by step? Thank you :) !!
hannguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #4 
Bettanewbie60
Member
 
Bettanewbie60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Coastal Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannguyen View Post
How can I do a 40% water change? I have attempted to do it but I don't know how to clean out the gravel. Can you please help me step by step? Thank you :) !!
HI hannguyen! You can get a small suction vacuum at the pet store. It is made for cleaning the gravel, and will help when you want to remove some of the water in the tank. You start the vacuum with suction, I use my mouth until the water is halfway into the hose, then put the end of hose in a bucket. Put the tip of the vacuum over and through the gravel, picking up any visible pieces of debris, and run it along as much of the bottom of the tank as possible. I remove most of my decorations while I do this, but I leave one or two in the tank for my fish to hide behind if he is nervous. Be careful you don't suck your fish in it! You can remove your fish when cleaning, I just don't, and my fish does not seem to mind the vacuum. I do my 50% water changes this way.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #5 
MyRainbowBettaFish
Member
 
MyRainbowBettaFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
Do not do 100% water changes every other day. By doing that your getting rid of good bacteria that betta's need to maintain good health and its stressful on fish. Continue doing water changes but do about 40 % every three days. Once you upgrade your tank make sure you get a good filter then you will only have to change 30% weekly. Maybe one a month do 80% water change and thoroughly clean all decorations you will have in your tank. Continue to use a water conditioner and get a heater to keep the water temps no lower than 76 degrees.
small bowls cannot cycle
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #6 
hannguyen
Member
 
hannguyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Edwardsville, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
HI hannguyen! You can get a small suction vacuum at the pet store. It is made for cleaning the gravel, and will help when you want to remove some of the water in the tank. You start the vacuum with suction, I use my mouth until the water is halfway into the hose, then put the end of hose in a bucket. Put the tip of the vacuum over and through the gravel, picking up any visible pieces of debris, and run it along as much of the bottom of the tank as possible. I remove most of my decorations while I do this, but I leave one or two in the tank for my fish to hide behind if he is nervous. Be careful you don't suck your fish in it! You can remove your fish when cleaning, I just don't, and my fish does not seem to mind the vacuum. I do my 50% water changes this way.
Thank you! So just get the vacuum and it will do the job? So do i have to remove all the gravel? And do you just pour new water in there and put half of the conditioner in. Like i used to put 1/2 teaspoon in my tank so now I just put 1/4 of it? And then put the gravel back to the water? Will the vacuum fit my 1 gal bowl?

Thank you !
hannguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #7 
AquaKai
Member
 
AquaKai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ohio, USA
If you're going to upgrade then yes get the vacuum. It is extremely helpful! But like what MyRainbowBettaFish said, a tank that big will not cycle all the way through. It's better just to do 100% changes every other day. If you want to do a little less extreme changes for your betta do between 50-40% daily and do 100% once a week. It'll be a bit nicer.

And no, you don't have to take out the gravel if you use the vacuum.

And yes, do the reduction with the conditioner.
AquaKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #8 
hannguyen
Member
 
hannguyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Edwardsville, IL
Alrighty, sounds like I'm doing the right thing. He just seems a little stressed out every time I scoop him out of the bowl to do water change. But hopefully he will be better. I will check out the vacuum when I get the bigger tank by the end of this month. Thank you guys !!
hannguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #9 
Aus
Member
 
Aus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Australia!
Quote:
Do not do 100% water changes every other day. By doing that your getting rid of good bacteria that betta's need to maintain good health
Cripes. I'm sorry, but in a 1 gallon bowl, there is NO hope of beneficial bacteria doing diddly squat for your fish in terms of cycling and bacteria don't live in the water column anyway. In a 1 gallon bowl, ammonia builds up fast. Messing around with 40% changes will only help him be exposed to more ammonia. Aquakai had it right about 1 x 50% being okay, too, with 100%, but I'd be sticking with the 100% x every 2 days personally.

One of my fish is a chronically sickly little guy who can't have high water volume, is in 1.5 gallons permanently, and has had 100% changes every two days for 6 months. Sure, he stresses a little in his cup for 5 mins at water change time, but better that than swimming in ammonia! If my weedy little fish can cope, I'm sure yours can.

Vaccing a 1 g bowl just isn't worth the fiddling.

Put your fish in a covered cup (I use yoghurt containers that have been rinsed a LOT to spotless clean, no soap), tip the water in his bowl out, refill it with water to the correct temp, add conditioner. Spend a few minutes floating your fish in his cup in the bowl to equalise the temp, adding a little new water to the old every few mins. Let fish back into his bowl.

The vac will be very handy for the bigger tank, though!

Last edited by Aus; 07-11-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:08 AM   #10 
hannguyen
Member
 
hannguyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Edwardsville, IL
Alrighty sounds good to me!!! Thank you so much. I'll have to get him a bigger tank soon :)
hannguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
10g with single Betta-- how often to change the water and how much? eaturbyfill Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 2 06-17-2012 08:58 PM
Betta gets duller after every water change Purple7 Betta Fish Care 8 06-04-2012 02:32 PM
Bad Water Change? Unusually Sick Betta Ajones108 Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 10 10-17-2011 08:18 PM
water change for betta tank? x55 Betta Fish Care 3 04-03-2010 04:45 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.