Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #1 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Exclamation Betta in small Kritter Keeper?

Hey everybody!

First off, this is NOT my bettas, these are my friends, and they just got them an hour ago. My first friends betta is in a small kritter keeper, which i know is WAY to small. NOTE: Both of my friends will be upgrading. The krater keeper is around half a gallon(i almost died). How often should she clean this? I have water condtionder i put in, it is tetra brand, but meant for larger tanks. I overdosed, because i didn't want to underdose. How much ml per this tank size?

Ok, my second friend(brother) got a betta also. He put his betta in a 1/4 gallon plastic bowl ---He couldn't get bigger without getting in SERIOUS trouble. Anyways, i told him to clean it every other day? Is this enough? Also, how much water conditinder?

I am really worried for the poor fellows, i just want them to be ok!
I taught them ALOT, and i mean ALOT about betta fish today. They BOTH will be upgrading as soon as possible, but i don't think it can wait. I might sneak in 2 large Kritter Keepers.....shhhhh

They also do not have a net, but instead have a REALLY small strainer(bigger and deeper then a spoon). Would this work to transport during cleaning days?

Both of the betta fish look very healthy, i gave them a full exam

Thanks s much!

Cheers!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #2 
lelei

Yes, sneak in those bigger KK's Lord knows they are needed..as we both know those smaller ones need w/cg daily..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #3 
lelei

I guess at that point for W/C I would use an eyedropper to measure..maybe 2-3 drops..4 to be xtra safe.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #4 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Thanks i know i am Realllyyyy trying! i have been using about 1/4 a teaspoon
Old 07-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #5 
MyRainbowBettaFish

wouldny daily changes stress the betta? I don't know, i have never ever had a fish bowl thank goodness
Old 07-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I had Perseus in a half gallon bowl that my daughter got me for Mothers Day along with Perseus, she didnt know any better so I ordered a 5 gallon tank and on line and Perseus was in the half gallon for a week till the tank came. What I did was use a turkey baster when I did water changes and that worked great and Perseus didnt mind abit he seems to like it and still does like water changes, he hangs around and watches..lol I did water changes everyday and would just leave enough water in the bowl to cover him and then added the conditioned water. Good luck to you and your friends !
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #7 
Ilikebutterflies

It would be easier to use a gallon jug and just keep that full of water to do water changes with.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #8 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Thanks everybody, i am trying to get them to buy these things without getting in trouble:) I hopefully will post pics of their beautiful colorations!
Old 07-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #9 
bettaboytroy

IMO 100% water change every 3rd day for 1/2 gallon. To me everyday can be too stressful on the fish. A small plastic plant at Petsmart is $1 and would help relax the fish. I would definately invest in a small net so they don't damage their scales on the spoon or worse yet jump off. If you can upgrade great but don't feel like the fish are doomed by any means. Don't over feed as to foul up your water. Good luck.
bettaboytroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:10 PM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

If your friend gets in trouble with something tank shaped, why dont you try and convince him to get something that is more decorative like a larger vase for now? having a plant in it like a lucky bamboo (leaves out of water) will help with the ammonia control. Ofcourse nothing beats a 1 gallon + tank, but it wil give the betta a healthier home for now.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
0.5 gallon, 1/4 gallon, half gallon, kritter keeper