Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #1 
emilyjessica

Necessary Cycling Equipment?

I'm planning to get a betta sometime in the next month of so (around my birthday) and since I have to wait a wile anyways I thought I would get a head start by cycling my tank. However, I don't have a lot of money right now (same reason why I', only getting the fish and everything later) so I was wondering what I really need to cycle. I"ve read the sticky about it, but I have a few questions.

I've already got a tank (5G) and decorations aren't a problem for me to get. I know you need a filter, so that's on my list. BUT. Do I need to have a heater while it's cycling? And does the water need to be conditioned? Anything else that is strictly necessary aside from the tank and the filter?
emilyjessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #2 
Freyja
Banned

Per Hallyx

Bacteria like food, air, warmth and darkness. So.....

----Feed them 3.0/4.0 ppm ammonia

----Run a bubbler or get air into the flow somehow.

----Turn your heater all the way up. 90* is not too hot.

---Cover it.

Do your daiy water test
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #3 
emilyjessica

When you say to run a bubbler, is that something other than the filter?
Old 07-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

If you are doing the Fishless cycle...you need water test products on hand since you need to maintain the ammonia level.

You can safely establish the nitrogen cycle in a 5gal filtered tank with a healthy Betta....with or without testing products on hand.....provided that you make the needed water changes....

You can get a head start since you have the tank and filter-but have to wait to get the Betta-I would set the tank up and add some live plants or even a snail-Both are organic that produce byproducts that can start the cycling process-Make weekly water changes and then a 50% with vacuum before you properly acclimate the Betta once you get it....

The BB you are colonizing are self limiting

You may or may not need a heater-but its a good idea to have one on hand....Your goal is to maintain a somewhat stable temp in the 76-80F range for the Betta and for the Fishless cycle you can raise the temp a bit more to encourage the BB to colonize faster.

You do need a thermometer to monitor both the tank water temp and the temp of the replacement water used for water changes once you add the Betta.

Dechlorinator-you need this for both the Betta and the beneficial bacteria for the nitrogen cycle......The BB that you are colonizing are somewhat like fish-if it will kill the fish it will most likely kill the BB (beneficial bacteria)
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #5 
emilyjessica

OKay thanks, that's rally helpful. Any estimates on how long it could take?